Chapter 60

Levi's POV

"Captain Levi, your dinner is just outside your door." I heard a female voice, it was Petra.

"You should eat, Captain. It's been three days since you last ate," said Eld.

I slouched lower on my desk, trying to shut all noises I can hear, but it's no use, the brats just won't shut up as they continued banging on my door.

"No luck?" I heard Hiruka among the voices outside my door.

"He won't respond Lieutenant, I'm worried something might happen to him," Petra said.

I failed her again.

The damn brats have stopped talking, footsteps were heard as it slowly fades away.

Finally. Peace.

Then Hiruka spoke when I thought no one was bothering me anymore. "Captain, I'm going inside."

Before I was able to object, the lock broke as the door slammed open in a second. Hiruka lowered his foot from the kick and entered.

"I didn't tell you to enter." I scowled.

"Erwin called for you," replied Hiruka. "And there are plates piling outside the door."

"Tch." Then I weakly sat straight. My eyes scanned the room for the first time in awhile. It was a mess. Papers were everywhere, books were on the ground, and everywhere I turn is dust. I furrowed my eyebrows in disgust, looking down on a certain bracelet I held.

"This is not like you Captain." Then I was reminded Hiruka was still standing by the door. I turned to him, giving him colder glares than my usual as he returned with a "whatever" look, until he sighed and gave up.

He took a step forward, only for his way to be blocked by a pile of books. He started picking it two by two and arranged it on the shelf in an alphabetical manner.

I noticed how his shoulder length hair was not in it's usual low ponytail, wherein fact I remembered Gwen mentioned how Hiruka hated his hair down. "Gwen wouldn't want this Levi." He spoke in a distressed tone.

I cocked an eyebrow at him and started arranging my papers, stacking them neatly. "How do you even know what she wants?"

Hiruka suppressed a smile as he continued sweeping. "Two years ago when she used to train me back in the cabin in the center of the woods, she never stopped talking about you, and I'd never get tired of listening to her stories. Then she made me promise, that if ever anything would happen to her, I'd make sure your alright. I'm just simply doing her a favor."

She wanted to make sure I'm alright. . .it's no use. How can I have the guts to be fine knowing you're probably suffering right now?

But he is right. Gwen probably wouldn't even want this. I stood from my seat, slipping the bracelet in my wrist and helped re-organized the mess.

I clicked my tongue and exhaled sharply, catching Hiruka's attention from the corners he was sweeping. "Tell Erwin I'll meet him 10."

Hiruka nodded diligently, "The sooner we plan, the sooner we'll get Gwen back." Then he left.

---

After fixing myself, I stepped outside my door for the first time in three days. Then I noticed the plates with food stacked up against the wall in a disturbing sight.

"Tch. Damn brats."

I shrugged it off and walked casually to where Erwin is. After a few minutes of reaching the other side of the building, I stood infront of the door and knocked three times.

"Come in," said a different voice.

Without a word, I stepped insie and saw Erwin in bed, and Keith Shadis sitting in a chair near him. I bowed out of respect and sat in a chair.

"I know your frustrated than all of us Levi." Erwin started.

"Get to the point." I said stoicly.

"Eren said they were taking them to their hometown which they never stated where. Braun's and Hoover's files about their hometown is unknown, it will be difficult for us to find them." Erwin adjusted his position and carefully leaned against the wall. "One thing we can be sure of is that they're not leaving without Eren, sooner or later they'll come for him. We'll plan a setup, I'm sure their spies will come around."

"Braun and Hoover were the only spies," I retorted.

"The time when Cadet Yuki was murdered, Bertholdt was busy sparring with Braus and Reiner was helping Historia with the stables."

He's right. Braun and Hoover aren't even that skilled to wield a dagger let alone to make a stealthy kill with it. So who killed the cadet?

"We are convinced to say that whoever did it is very experienced and skilled," Erwin slightly tilted his body, reaching for something in the drawer, then he took it out, showing it to me. "And someone from the underground."

Erwin held a dagger in his only hand left -- the dagger used to murder the cadet. I stared at it boredly, waiting for him to get it out of my face.

"You should know we don't have daggers like these in the scouts, it's an unfamiliar one to us even to those who are in charged of the weaponry." He stated, handing it near me as I took it with my long, slender hands.

He continued speaking as I studied the knife carefully. "I sent Hanji's Squad to the cities and different villages all over the walls, no one had a clue about daggers like this, it had to be a thug from the underground."

As I held the dagger, my steel grey orbs dilated, studying every single detail, brushing my fingers along the very familiar object.

Then I froze.

It can't be him. If it was him, why would he even conspire with the Armored and Colossal Titan? More like how?

"You're tensed, Levi." Erwin spoke, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Tch. I'll hold onto this." I said in a low voice, standing up and made my way to the door.

"Be back here after dinner, tell the other squad leaders we'll be discussing our plans." Erwin said sternly as I nodded my head and exited the room, meeting Hanji and Cadet Springer in the hallway probably to see Erwin.

Before heading to the mess hall, I decided to stop by my office and get a few paperworks done.

I sighed deeply, sitting down on the chair. My fingers pinching the bridge of my nose as I took out the dagger and laid it on my desk.

There's no doubt it's him.

I leaned forward, taking the dagger in both hands.

If he's a part in this, then he knows where Gwen is.

Out of anger, I took the dagger and stabbed it hard against the desk, ripping a paper.

"Tch," I clicked my tongue, frustrated and furious, then I turn to the dagger, taking it again as it tore a paper.

Wait.

I dropped the dagger as I took the slightly torned paper, words written in a familiar way.

It was actually a letter.

No need to put my greetings, you already know who I am. You of all people should know what I'm capable of, I do not hesitate.

Hand over that Yeager boy and none of your bratty cadets will turn out like the other pathetic one.

In three days, you know where.

Then my eyes trailed down to the closing address, a dried, red liquid staining the bottom of the paper.

Here's a blood of your little girlfriend if ever you're missing her. Just to let you know, she's doing fine.