Chapter 42

Gwen's POV

"We're reclaiming Wall Maria." Erwin said, "An expedition will happen in 3 months. Squad Leaders, I want you all to prepare the cadets for we will push to Shiganshina and find the secrets of Dr. Yeager's basement."

After a few words, Gwen retreated back to her room, having another sudden migraine.

"Eren! Stop being so stubborn and listen to mom."

"Mom. . ." I mumbled quietly to myself, then more flashbacks occurred.

"I want to join the Survey Corps and defeat all the titans!" A turquoise eyed boy yelled in excitement. "How bout you Nee San?"

"No." Replied a brunette girl, only to realize she was me. . .and Eren and Mom were here too.

Then another scene took over, making my head pound faster.

"Tch."

I flashed him a confused look.

"Just take the fucking dagger brat."

I reluctantly took the object in his hand and admired it.

"Keep it, and always be reminded."

Reminded of what? I asked myself, then I turned the dagger over to see the word "Freedom."

That's when Levi started walking away.

Levi.

Levi?

Then I returned back to reality as my headache worsens, and more flashbacks kept coming.

A box was placed ontop of my palm, I opened it to reveal a gold necklace with a rose pendant.

This is it. This is where I'll know where it came from.

I smiled and looked up to see who it was, but the scene changed before I was able to see the person.

I curled into a ball as I let more possible memories flood back.

"As Lieutenant Gwen Regaey of the Survey Corps, I swore to protect humanity, fight for humanity, and bring back the freedom humanity deserves."

"Aunt Faye!"

"Mikasa, Armin, take care of Eren while I'm away."

"A syringe?"

". . .I didn't write this!"

"Someone forged my signature!"

"I like you."

Huh?

"I love you."

---

I jolted awake, sweating and panting heavily.

I slept huh.

But were those all true? Most of it were clear, but some, especially the important ones were so blurry.

I took a coat, exited my room and decided to find some time alone.

As I was walking down the hallway, Levi passes by. And for a split moment, our eyes made contact.

Without hesitation, I grabbed his shoulders and pinned him to the wall.

How could he look so haggard from training yet handsome at the same time?

"Please, Levi," I begged. "Were you an important memory of my past?"

Levi's POV

I stared into her turquoise orbs, clearly begging for the truth. It pains me to see her like this, but I'm still not telling her anything.

"Aside from being your corporal and your fighting partner before, no. We were only acquaintances." I replied coldly, obviously hurting in the inside.

"Oh," she lowered her head and walked away.

"Oi, where are you going? You're not supposed to walk alone," I said.

"I'll be fine Shorty."

"Tch."

After a few minutes of following her secretly, only making sure she was safe, I returned to my office after seeing her with her squadmates and the new cadets.

"Shorty," an annoying voice spoke from behind.

"Fuck off Shitty Glasses."

She ignored my reply and continued talking, "I heard your conversation with Gwen, why can't you just tell her?"

I rubbed my temples, "It'll make things more complicated than it already is. And she clearly hates me now."

"It'll hurt her once she'll remember, you know. I know it's hurting you, but it takes time, Levi."

"I'm still not telling her." I retorted.

"Then I'll be spilling out then," Hanji grinned. "It's not my secret to tell but, seeing both of you in pain hurts me more than when Sawney and Bean died."

I only scoffed at her line and twisted the knob, "I'll tell her. Soon."