Chapter 68

Levi's POV

Church?

FLASHBACK

"You're not acting yourself today, Farlan," Isabel spoke, breaking the silence that took over.

I did seem to notice that too. Farlan puts down his book on the table and lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Today's supposed to be my brother's 8th birthday." Farlan sighed.

Isabel's green eyes widened, while I listen quietly to his story, teacup in hand.

"You have a brother?" Isabel asked.

Farlan nodded and turned to me, "I'm sorry, I haven't told you my story."

"Your mother died of a disease, and you ran away from your home after that. That's it right?" I said boredly.

He scratched the back of his neck as Isabel sat down. "Well, that's not everything. You see, I had to look for money to pay for mom's medication. So I borrowed money from a few thugs, but it was useless, mom died anyway. I took care of my 5 years old brother for a year and a half, then the thugs barged in our house one day. They wanted me to pay my debt or they'd kill us, but I still had no money.

"I let my brother escape, told him to run far away and I'll just find and meet him. I took care of the thugs, but their bosses are still chasing my ass. I then searched for my brother evevrywhere, every single corner of this damned place, but Jan told me he was able to get past the 9th stairwell. That gave me a little bit of reassurance knowing he'll find a better family there."

Isabel gave Farlan a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Then Farlan continued speaking, "The main reason why I actually want to go out there is because I need to find him, I need to know he's doing fine."

END OF FLASHBACK

"Captain? Are you there?" Kinn waved a hand infront of my face, snapping me back to reality.

So this must be Farlan's brother.

I studied him head to toe, the dirty blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin, a tall, slender stature -- he's like an exact younger version of Farlan.

"Take us to where Gwen is," Erwin said, "I'll have the medics tend to your injuries.

Kinn nodded as a medic pulled him over.

"Levi." Erwin staid sternly, "You know what to do. Retrieve her at all cost."

I turned to him, eyebrows furrowed as I nodded.

For sure.

"Line up and prepare your gears!" I commanded as the others flashed a confused looks.

A cadet raised her hand and asked, "We just finished a mission sir, where are we going now?"

"A mission to rescue Gwen Yeager." I stated coldly, filling my gas tank.

"F-for real?" Jean asked. "Right now?"

"Did I fucking stutter?"

Jean shook his head while the other soldiers prepared. Just as I was about to walk away, Eren grabbed my shoulders, making me face him.

"Captain, I should come on this mission."

I stared at him and replied, "No. You're in no condition to fight, Yeager. We'll retrieve your sister, stay here and recover."

"I'm fully healed!"

I stepped closer, slowly losing my patience. "You know very well that they're after you too! I don't wanna be saving another brat's ass the moment we get her."