Chapter 56

Gwen's POV

"Aunt Faye I'm going to enlist in the military next year."

"But don't you think it's very scary? Fighting both titans and humans?"

"Why do we need to fight humans?"

"Titans aren't the only enemies of humanity, Gwen."

Aunt Faye? She's right. Then another flashback occured.

"You have really improved, Hiruka! You almost got me there."

Hiruka wipes off sweat from his forehead and replies, "Still a bit rusty in defending though."

"Come, I'll teach you my tricks. It'll be handy one day, Hiruka. Titans aren't the only enemies of humanity." I stated.

Turns out, humans are worse.

"Are you sure she won't be able to transform?" a voice mumbled.

"Sure. I injected her with a serum Zeke gave me, gives her 48 hours more to be able to transform again."

I slowly fluttered my eyes open, weakly surveying the area. My eyes landed on my hands and feet in ropes, making it impossible for me to escape.

"Oh? She's awake," Reiner said.

"Nee-San!"

I whipped my head to Eren's direction and saw Ymir beside him, both in a different tree while I sat in the same tree as Reiner. My eyes widened at his current condition. His face was bruised and both of his arms were cut off, showing no signs of renegerating soon.

"Eren. . ." Then I turned back to Reiner, "What do you want with us? Release Eren and take me instead!"

Reiner raised a brow, "Mmm, we can do that."

"No, Reiner. Zeke wanted both of them," Bertholdt reminded him.

"He said to prioritize Gwen as much as possible."

Who's Zeke?

"Who the fuck is Zeke?" I spoke impatiently. Then Reiner slowly turned to me, a smirk painted across his face.

"You'll meet him soon," he replied coldly.

Third person POV

Mikasa's eyes fluttered open. The first thing she saw was the clear, blue sky.

Staring at it makes me feel free.

Then she suddenly realized something. She jolted up and turned to Armin with a dreadful expression.

"Oh, Mikasa, you're awake. . ." Armin said softly.

"Where's Eren!"

Armin gave her a look that answered her question. "It's been five hours."

"Eren. . .Gwen." Mikasa looked down, a tear rolling down her scarred cheek. "Did someone go after them?"

Armin shook his head, "Captain Levi tried to, but he failed. . ." Then they turned towards the Captain, looking down on the titans below the wall, teeth gritted and fists clenched.

"He's been like that for five hours," whispered Armin. "I've never seen him so depressed before."

Mikasa stared at the raven-haired man, wondering what got him acting that way.

It's not like he cares about Eren, or Gwen, or Ymir. Mikasa thought bitterly.

"Why do Eren always have to run away from us?" Mikasa muttered, tears spilling out.

"Tch."

The two cadets faced Levi, a colder expression on his face than his usual.
"Crying won't bring him back, Ackerman."

Mikasa furrowed her brows, her eyes turned cold. She was about to attack the captain but Armin held her back.

"You have no idea how I feel! People without hearts like you won't know how it feels to lose someone you --"

Mikasa paused, --love. She sank down and wiped away her tears.

Levi stared at her intently then walked away and faced the now conscious cadets. "Oi, brats!" He shouted, "Refill your gas tanks, tend to your injuries, and get ready by the time Erwin and the others arrive."
Everyone nodded and did as he says.

Levi was looking down again, deep in thought. She's far away. . .again. He closed his eyes and face forward. I won't fail next time. Then hooves were heard approaching them. Levi opened his eyes and saw Erwin and Hiruka leading the group of soldiers on their horses galloping atop the wall.

"Commander Erwin thank goodness!" a cadet said.

"How's the situation?" Erwin asked, dismounting on his horse.

"T-they got away sir. . ." stuttered Armin.

"Eren lost," Conny added softly.

"Where's Lieutenant Gwen?" Hiruka asked worriedly.

"She was taken too." Levi spoke stoicly.

Then Historia shakingly spoke from behind, "Y-Y-Ymir too. . .Please, Commander. We need to get them back. . ."

Erwin nodded and turned to the other soldiers, "Deploy the lifts!"

"G. . ." Everyone turned to the ground where Hanji crawled weakly. ". . .et me a map."

An hour has passed, all soldiers were now mounted on their horses on the other side of the wall.

Everyone had determined looks as they face forward.

"We have until nightfall!" Erwin yelled.

Levi kept facing forward, watching the light-blue sky slowly fading.

"Levi," Erwin said from beside him, enough for only the two of them to hear. "Give all your best and retrieve them."

Levi nodded without looking at him.

"Advance!"