Chapter 39

Levi's POV

It was already dawn and for the first time I can really say that my insomnia actually benefits me.

I took a chair and sat beside my bed where Gwen was sleeping peacefully. It has been hours since it happened and I can't bring myself to leave her. I just want her to have a peaceful sleep she deserves.

Who were they? I asked myself, balling my fists in frustration and anger. I'll find them and kill them without hesitation. Whoever you are.

A knock from my doorshook me out of my thoughts.

"It's A-Armin Arlert sir," a soft voice spoke, "I'm with Squad Leader Hanji, Mikasa, and Eren."

"Come in," I replied coldly.

They quietly entered the room with worried expressions, especially Eren.

"N-nee san. . ." Eren approached us and knelt at the other side of the bed, ignoring my presence but I didn't mind.

"Levi," Hanji said in a serious tone, "everyone's now searching, but for the past hours no progress."

I rubbed my temples and scrunched my eyebrows. "They couldn't have gone that far. Send someone to search the forest."

"I already did. I sent Braun and Hoover since they were just by the lake which is nearest to the forest. I also sent Hiruka's squad to back them up."

I nodded and returned my gaze to Gwen.

"Sir," Mikasa spoke up, "there was blood on the floor too, it can't be Gwen's can it?"

Upon hearing Mikasa, I gently search for any sign of blood or wounds on Gwen's skin, but luckily there was none.

"None, it's not her blood." I said. "What else were on the floor?"

"Shards from a broken lamp."

"Then it's their blood," I replied stoicly. "Find for any trace of blood, it might lead us to them."

The three nodded.

"Eren," Hanji called.

Eren turned to her, tears in his eyes, but with pure anger and revenge. He nodded and followed them outside the room.

I sighed deeply and leaned my forehead on Gwen's hand.

"L-Levi?"

I looked up and my eyes met hers.

"How are you?" I asked in a cold voice while slowly removing my hand from hers without her realizing.

She sat upright and leaned on the wall. "I'm fine," she sighed. Then she slowly removed the blanket and stood up.

"Where the fuck are you going?" I asked, annoyed.

"To Hiruka. He said he'll help me gain my memories back," she replied boredly.

"It's 4 in the morning," I retorted.

"So?"

"Everyone's busy searching for your captor's" I replied.

Then she flashed a confused look, "Why are you here then?"

I wasn't able to think of anything to answer that question. I just can't tell her: "I personally care for you and I want to be the one to stay by your side."

I was about to speak when she interrupted me.

"I'm going out, I need air."

"You can't go alone," I replied, sipping on my now cold tea.

"Then walk with me."