Chapter 51

Third person's POV

For the first time, Levi had a straight eight hour sleep and he wanted more of it.

He woke up to the sun's rays at 7 a.m. Then he heard someone else's breathing. He looked down to see Gwen sweeping soundly, a smile on her face as she buried her head on his chest and his arms wrapped around her to make her feel safe.

Then he started reminiscing memories of the two of them 2 years ago.

If only I had protected you back then, Levi thought, You would still have a memory of me. Nothing would have changed.

A tear rolled down Levi's left eye.

They said if the first tear came from the left eye, it's a cry of sadness.

Levi hugged her tighter and buried his face in her hair.

"Levi?" Gwen mumbled tiredly.

The raven haired man unwrapped his arms and faced Gwen to see her awake.

"Oh, you're awake," Levi said coldly, yet softly.

Then Gwen noticed a tear in his cheek.

"Levi. . ." Gwen said softly placing her soft palm on his cheek and used her thumb to wipe away the tear, ". . .you're crying."

Levi broke eye contact, embarassed, and sat up.

"You want tea?" He asked without facing her.

"No thank you," replied Gwen.

Levi nodded and walked to the table for a tea of his own.

"There were no more nightmares," Gwen spoke and leaned against the wall. "Thanks by the way."

Levi hummed in response and sat back in his chair.

"Why were you crying?" Gwen asked suddenly.

"None of your business."

Gwen shut her mouth, then she was checking her scars to see it fully healed.

"Hey, my stitches are gone!" She said happily. "We can go out now, I'm sure you still have paperworks."

"Are you sure?" Levi doubted.

"For fuck sake," Gwen sighed, "I'm tired of staying in bed. I want to fight."

"Fine." Levi said, "On one condition."

"What?"

"You are to stay by my side everywhere I go and anytime I want."

--

Levi and Gwen walked to the mess hall without speaking a word. Levi slammed the door open, silencing the noisy room with his intimidating aura. Then Gwen followed behind. Gasps filled the room, then someone shouted from the other table.

"Lieutenant!" Liela shouted, tears filling her eyes. Squad Hiruka approached their former lieutenant and hugged her gently.

"We thought we'd lose you again. . ." Ayra said worriedly.

"Glad to have you back, Lieutenant Yeager." The silent squadmate, Yuki, said.

"NEE-SAAAAN!" A voice came from the door. Eren rushed towards her sister, pushing people away and tackled her in a hug. "You scared all of us!" he said, wiping away tears.

Gwen ruffled Eren's hair and laughed nervously, "Well, guess I'm back. But I really need to eat, Eren."

"Eat at our table," Mikasa spoke.

Gwen chuckled at Mikasa's bluntness, "If it's okay with Corporal Shorty here."

"No." Levi coldly replied.

"Why not Heichou?" Eren whined.

Levi didn't reply and just sighed, then Gwen spoke. "I'm eating at my squad's table. If anyone wants to be with me just follow." And she walked towards Hiruka and the others.

Eren and Levi sighed, taking their food trays, they followed Gwen and Levi sat on her right while Eren sat on her left.

"I thought you hated my presence, Corporal." Gwen mumbled.

"I hate everyone's presence," Levi replied flatly.

"That's true. . ." Gwen trailed off. "Hey, Levi."

"What?"

"What if my nightmares will come back," Gwen replied.

"I just said you'll be with me everywhere I go." He answered in an annoyed tone. "Did yu forget?"

Gwen shook her head. "So you'll sleep in my room then?"

"You'll follow me, not I'll follow you." Levi replied impatiently.

"Why'd you followed me here then?"

Levi flashed her an annoyed expression. "We'll sleep in my room."

Gwen nodded and continued eating and chatting with the other cadets.

Hours has passed and all Gwen did was follow Levi as he was instructing the cadets their cleaning duties. Then they moved to the training grounds and helped Hiruka train the others.

"Feet firm on the ground Eren!" Gwen shouted. "Impressive Mika- No eating Sasha!"

"You're weaker, Horse face!"

Gwen facepalmed at the commotion and approached Eren and Jean arguing again. She took two real knives and handed it to the both of them. "Fight to death. Whoever dies first shows who's weaker-"

A big thud made Gwen stop in mid sentence. "An expedition's coming and you're all still falling off your maneuver gears?" She sighed to herself and approached the direction it came from.

She walked to the forest where they train their gears, then she saw a large crowd gathering up, she squeezed her way to the center and-

A lifeless soldier laid there, surrounded with his own pool of fresh blood. A knife to his chest and his right foot decapitated.

Then Gwen saw a paper sticking to the knife. And she realized she recognized the soldier.

Her eyes widened, eyes trembling at the sight of a murdered squadmate. "Y-Y-Yuki. . ."