Chapter 73

Levi's POV

Night rose a few minutes later. I stood ontop of the rooftop where I had a few treasured moments. I gazed up the stars, admiring the beautiful inky canopy that was laid across the sky.

"Captain Levi, you called?"

I turned around as Kinn approached, stopping a few feet away.

"Did I do something wrong, sir?"

"No." I replied flatly. I laid out my right hand, showing him the crest and the half-cut portrait.

"What is this sir?" He asked, confused.

"Tch, take it."

He took it hesitantly. As he flipped the portrait over, a small smile painted his face while his eyes watered.

"F-F-Farlan. . ." He mumbled and faced me, "Where did you get this, Captain?"

I faced back at the sky as he stood beside me. "He was one of the few people I can call a friend."

His eyes widened as he turned to me, lips parted. "Y-you met him? My brother?"

I sighed deeply, "I'm from the underground too. Me, Farlan, and another friend joined the Corps together."

"Farlan joined the Survey Corps?" He asked, suprised. A exciting smile stretching across his face. "I wanna see him!"

My eyes softened as I frowned, pitying the boy. "You can't."

"Huh?" He looked down on the crest, "He's here, isn't he?"

"He's dead."

Then his face dropped while the crest and the portrait slowly falls to the ground. Kinn stood speechless, his whole body trembled as tears started falling from his eyes.

His lips quivered, trying to form a word. "D-d. . .dead?"

I only nodded in response, picking up the crest and the portrait.

"H-h-how?"

"He died on his first expedition, along with our other friend." I mumbled. "I wasn't able to protect them, and that was one of my biggest regrets." I handed him the two objects that once belonged to Farlan, taking his hands and placing it gently.

"I-I-I wasn't e-even a-able to t--thank him. . ."

"I'm sorry." I said rather stoicly, slowly walking away, then I stopped and said, "Farlan wouldn't want to see you like this." Then I walked back to my office, leaving the grieving boy.

Gwen's POV

"I c-c-can't do this." Hanji stuttered, "A-are you sure you want to do this?"

I sighed deeply, flashing in my mind one of the lines I read in the book.

. . .unlimited blood flows. . .

"I'm sure." I replied sternly, stretching out my arm as Hanji takes out an injection. "This will save everyone, Hanji. We'll save the humans that once turned to titans. I'm just asking you to take as much blood from me, the corps will need it soon."

"What if you'll die. . .because of me. Again!"

"I swear to you I won't die of this. I trust what I read, Hanji."

She sighed deeply, breathing in and out; preparing hundreds of vials and got to work.

"Woah," I held my head as I leaned on the wall for support; a headache taking over.

It took hours for Hanji to fill a hundred vials full of my blood, and I'm sure a hundred is still not enough.

I heard footsteps approaching from behind then it stopped as a hand was placed on my shoulders.

"Oi, it's midnight," a familiar cold voice spoke. "What are you doing?"

I turned to see Levi in his usual emotionless face, then it softened as my eyes met his.

"Oh yeah, um, I just told Hanji to take some of my blood. . .for some reasons." I answered as he took my arm and slinged it over his shoulder.

He nodded and helped me walk to my room; carefully laying me down in bed.

I faced the ceiling, steadying my breathing. "Lay down, Levi."

"I still have paperwork," he replied stoicly.

"You need rest. The expedition's coming up. In a few days, Wall Maria will be reclaimed," I said as he sighed and got in bed, facing me; his eyes telling me he had alot in mind.

I scooted closer, cuddling up to his chest while his arms snaked around my waist, pulling me closer.

"I'm sorry about the kid." He spoke.

I looked up to face him, "Why?"

"His brother was a close friend of mine when we were in the underground. We joined the Scouts for a mission to steal some documents and kill Erwin, but it was all a set up."

"You knew Kinn's brother?" I asked, slightly shocked.

He nodded and continued, "He died for nothing."

I gasped, sadness flashed over my face as I can imagine Kinn's reaction. I didn't say a word for a few minutes, burying my forehead in his chest.

Then I felt his fingers lifting my chin up.

"Oi, the expedition's near," he started, "I don't want you dying on me again."

I smiled involuntary, "This time I won't."

"Take off your necklace."

"Huh? Why?"

"Just take it off," he demanded.

I sat as he did the same while I unclipped the necklace and handed it to him. He took it with his hands, holding the rose pendant and fiddled something, as if there was something in it.

I watched him closely, curious at what he was doing with the necklace, then the pendant separated, only to find out--

"Marry me when all of this is over."

He held a beautiful ring infront of my face.

My lips parted, too stunned to speak. A tear rolled from my right eye as I brought myself to smile. "W-w-will this r-really be over?"

"It will," he replied, taking my hands in his, "I will make sure."

Then I buried ny face in the crook of his neck, taking in his lemon scent. "Of course. . .Levi," I mumbled as I can feel him slipping the ring in my finger.

"I want to be with you. . .forever." He whispered in a low voice.

"T-that's nowhere near possible. . ." I muttered in between tears. "I only have 10 years left, assuming that my hair doesn't fully turns red."

His hand wrapped around my back, embracing me comfortingly.

"Then spend the rest of your remaining years with me."