(57)

Song Above: The End Of The Affair

If you like this story then please check out my new story Me You And Winnie The Pooh! It needs all the love it can get! 😊🐻🍯

"Brody I have something to tell you,"

I could barely form the words in my mouth, they felt like sand against my tongue. I had to hold my hands firmly onto my lap to stop them from shaking and I sucked in a harsh breath feeling my blood pumping in my ears.

I didn't want to do this. I had prayed I wouldn't have to but I had no choice.

"What is it?"

He stopped his pacing and looked dead at me and I visibly shrank against the bed.

"I-i-urm," I stammered, the intensity of his stare catching me off guard. I wasn't prepared for this, "Whatever I tell you, I want you to understand that there was a plausible reason-"

His eyes zeroed in one me filled with dread and I felt the blood drain from my face, "You aren't going to break up with me are you?"

I paused registering his words and my own rushed out of my mouth, "No of course not, it's not that,"

I saw a sigh of relief escape his mouth and he rubbed at the spot between his brows, "Then what is it?"

My palms became moist and beads of sweat formed on my forehead, "There's something you don't know about your mom's death, she wasn't just murdered Brody, someone was paid to kill her, "

My words hung in the air like a noose.

A noose I might as well have wrapped around Brody's neck myself since this knowledge could get him killed.

He just blinked at me. His whole body unmoving and unnerving. I couldn't work out if I had prefered him to shout or scream at me. This silence was much worse than I could have imagined.

"Someone paid to kill her," He eventually whispered his voice shaking.

I nodded unable to speak and watched as he sank to the floor. His legs sprawled and his arms hanging at his sides. He stared at the foot of the bed a vacant look in his eyes and I instantly rushed to his side. I went to put a hand on his shoulder but thought better of it, I was the last person right now he wanted to be touched by.

"Someone paid to kill her," He repeated barely audible, it was almost to himself rather than me.

"I didn't tell you because I was threatened, I was told that if I told you someone would hurt you and I couldn't let that happen, you have to understand,"

He looked up at me, his eyes barely registering my face. I felt my heart sink, "Who threatened you? Who told you?"

"When the officers escorted you out the building the man told me, and then that other officer he told me if I told you that they'd harm you, I don't know who it was that paid that man,"

"I knew there was something not right about that Officer, and your face afterwards, I should have guessed,"

"Honestly, I would have told you, you know I would have but they told me they'd hurt you and I couldn't put you in that position," I had to suck in a harsh breath to stop the tears from escaping. I felt a mixture of emotions, fear, relief...

"Ivy," He eyes softened, "I know you didn't mean to hide it from me, I would do the same,"

"I just couldn't let them get to you, I couldn't," I shook my head and a tiny tear slid down my cheek. He instantly reached out and wrapped his arms around me. I rested my head against his chest and listened to the rapid beating of his heart.

"Who would want to hurt my mom like that? She'd never hurt a fly," He murmured against my hair as his fingers stroked soft circles at the small of my back.

"I don't know but Brody your dad had another wife that died and I saw him on the sign-in sheet-"

"Wait," The abruptness in his voice stopped me  and he let go of me as if I'd burnt him, my skin was still hot from his touch, "You're trying to tell me that you think my dad paid someone to kill my mom?"

"I uh, I wasn't saying that exactly but-"

"Then what the hell were you trying to say?"

I hesitated for a second, I knew this was very dangerous ground but I couldn't hide what I thought. He needed to know and I was sick of Mr Jackson's secrets and lies.

"I'm not saying your dad is a hundred per cent the culprit, but don't you see how bizarre this is?"

"Get out," His words came in short and curt. I didn't even have a chance to reply before he was up onto his feet and pulling me up with him. The way he looked at me made my skin crawl. I've never in all my years of knowing Brody, even when he disliked me, had him look at me in such a way with all the hate in the world in his eyes.

I pulled my arm out of his grasp and pleaded with him, "Look, I didn't mean that your dad killed your mom, but come on, don't you think it's all a bit suspicious?"

"My dad might not be the best dad in the world, but he loved my mom, he fucking loved her and who are you to come in here and accuse him of murder?"

"I'm not accusing him of murder," I exclaimed, "But stop seeing everything in rose-tinted glasses for god sake Brody,"

"Rose-tinted glasses?"

"Facts are facts, Brody! You read the article as well! Your dad was married before your mom and didn't even tell you, the girl died for god sake from poisoning and there wasn't enough evidence to link it to foul play, someone was paid to kill your mom, does this not concern you one bit? Are you blind or are you just trying to not see the truth?"

"Just because your dad was fucked up doesn't mean mine is Ivy,"

Words flew from his mouth that I never thought he'd even think, let alone say out loud. I knew instantly from the look in his eyes that he had regretted it but it was too late, they'd already caused damage.

I felt a cold fury burnt with dangerous intensity flow through me.

The next words I said shook against my lips, "My dad," I had to pause to compose myself, "Was the best dad in this world. He was not fucked up as you so lovely put it," I shook my head, "how fucking dare you,"

I didn't stay to hear what he had to say.

I didn't want to.

The next thing I knew I was walking in a direction I had memorised. I'd walked it many times before and it had stapled against my heart. I didn't want to think about Brody's words, I didn't want to think at all. I wanted the world to stop for a second and let me breathe.

I went to a place I should have visited a long time old but I had been too scared to. I'd thought about it but I couldn't and I knew now was time.

I rounded a corner and entered through a gate. When I had found what I was looking for I sat down on the grass that was wet against my clothing and formed a sad smile. My words escaped my mouth and bristled in the soft wind.

"Hi, Dad,"

**Sorry guys I will update at some point! I'm just super busy over the Christmas period with partying and spending time with my Boyf and fam! I will give you a chapter worth waiting for I promise!
Love D
Xxx