𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 | The Death Wish

I glanced down at my watch and it was already 6 in the evening which means that I have to rush home before it gets dark. It takes a 30-minute walk from my house to the cafe.

I couldn't ask my mother to buy me a bike because I don't wanna burden her. She has to work like fifty hours a week to pay all the bills just to provide a convenient life for me and Jameela.

'I couldn't possibly ask her to buy anything for me. No! No! I'm strong. I can manage myself. Yeah! That's the spirit girl!' I was trying my best to live up the spirit inside of me.

"Are you sure that you're gonna be okay by yourself?" Amira asked when I was struggling with my sweater.

"Don't worry. You know me, I'll always okay." I smiled.

"I mean you have to walk like 30 minutes to your house and it's gonna be dark really soon. Can't I talk you out of this?"

"Nope. I'm still going home. I have to clean the house and prepare dinner before my mother gets home." I said and she sighed in defeat.

"Okay. Please be careful, okay? I love yaaa." she pursed her lips.

"I will. Love yaaa too."

We got out of the cafe and exchanged kisses on the cheeks before going our separate ways.

We usually gonna be heading home together because her house is just 10 minutes from mine. Unfortunately, she wanted to go to the mall to buy some groceries tonight which leaves me no choice but to get back home all by myself.

"Oh, I better hurry up before it gets dark." I mumbled to myself and made my way home.

After a few minutes of walking in silence, a red Volkswagen Polo suddenly pulled up next to me. I bent my knees down as the windshield rolled down to see who was in the vehicle.

"Hey Sahara. Where are you going walking alone at this hour?" a beautiful and elegant girl with brunette hair grinned sweetly at me. I've always admired her dimpled smile.

"Oh, hey. No, I was just walking home actually." I blurted, returning her smile.

"Well, in that case, get it. I'll give you a ride." she offered and I heard the sound of the doors clicking.

"No, no. I'm fine. I can just walk." I shook my head and tried my very best to turn down her offer.

I didn't mean to be rude or anything but I've always been kinda nervous around her. Maybe it's because that she's too friendly while I'm too quite and don't usually talk much.

"C'mon, Sahara. Don't be like that. You'll hurt my feelings if you turn down my offer." she pouted while blinking her eyes rapidly.

Oh my God! How could I possibly say no to those puppy eyes of hers?!

"Oh, okay." I sighed in defeat and eventually gave in.

"GREAT. Get in then..." she squealed in excitement and opened the door to the passenger's seat for me. I got into the car and buckled up then she started driving.

Quinn. Quinn Evelyn Anderson. That's her name. Quinn is a friend of my sister and I'll tell you that she's completely different from the others. She has a beautiful baby face, long brunette hair and mesmerising green eyes.

Quinn is sweet and very friendly. She has always been so nice to me. Even though she came from a wealthy family that runs business all over the world, she never mentioned any of those things. It's like she always manage to act natural when I'm anywhere around here. I mean we don't usually hang out together, the only reason why I'm stuck with her is because of Jameela.

"You know what? You're so different from Jameela. You don't talk much and you always wear decent clothes all the time." she said.

'Oh, way to go to start a conversation.' I whispered to myself.

I glanced over at her and her green eyes met mine, "You know? The scarf around your head?" she clarified and I smiled.

"All Muslims women should be wearing this to cover their heads."

"Oh, I see." she nodded.

The thing about Quinn, she always shows interest to know about Islam. She used to ask me questions about my religion, the way I dressed and what is forbidden in Islam when I'm with her.

We all went to high school together and she graduated along with Jameela as they are the same age. I still remember the first time I met her in high school, she had asked, "What's that around your head?"

I guess I like her.

"Jameela is at Bob's. I'm heading there after I drop you home." she said, her eyes still fixed on the road.

Bob's? Really, Jameela? You're drinking again or what? What the hell is wrong with her?

Sometimes, I just felt like pulling her fiery red hair and slammed her againts the bathtub but I know I wouldn't win any of those kinda fights with her. She's like 6 inches taller than me and she would be strangling me to dead first before I can even take a chance on her.

"Urmmm..."

"Why don't you take me with you to Bob's?" I picked at my fingernails.

What the hell did I just say? It's like I have a death wish or something?

'STUPID!?'

"Are you kidding me?" she glanced over at me and frowned.

Honestly, I don't like the idea being at the diner. Bob's is usually a place for wild teenagers like Jameela hang out, get drunk and do drugs.

What to do? Oh please! I don't wanna go out here in the middle of the night looking for my sister again. God knows what would I get myself into next after smacking the gang leader.

I guess I'll take my chances.

"No, I'm serious. If it's not troubling you, maybe you could drop me and Jameela home together." I asked nervously and she smiled before shaking her head.

"Now why would that be a problem? Of course I can."

"Thanks."

"So we're going to Bob's?" she asked once more, her eyes scanning my face probably searching for the answer.

"Yea." I nodded. She pulled over then turned the car around and headed straight to Bob's.