𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | Nothing Last Forever

A Few Days Later...

It's been a couple of days now and I still see those men outside the house. I have no idea who they are. They do look familiar to me like I've seen them somewhere before but I can't remember where or when.

Every time I get back from work, I'll be thinking about approaching and asking them who they are and what do they want but I end up turning down that ridiculous intention.

"Don't do anything brave." Hunter's words kept playing over and over again in my mind like a broken disc.

Speaking of him, I haven't seen him coming in here during this few days. Oh well, maybe he already found some place else to eat. Who cares?!

On top of that, mom's condition is getting worst. The last time she said it was just a little headache and the next time she's been coughing nonstop.

I've been putting a hell of a fight into bringing her to see the doctor but she just couldn't stop being so stubborn. It's pretty obvious from whom I got it from. The only thing left that I can hope for is that she will be okay. I kept telling myself that everything will be okay. But now...

I'm not so sure anymore.

"Sahara? Hello? Sahara?" I heard finger snapping and Amira's face was the first thing I saw when reality hit me.

"Are you still on planet earth?" she teased.

"Of course. Where else would I be?" I spoke in ridiculous and she laughed.

"What's bothering you? You don't look so good these days."

"Are you sick?" she placed her hand on my forehead

"No, it's not me." I moved her hand away slowly.

I sighed in desperation and rubbed my temples, "It's my mom. She's sick but she refused to go to the clinic."

"Oh, I'm sorry. How bad is it?"

"Not so good."

"I mean she's not well and Jameela hasn't come home yet. I don't know to do." I sobbed, tears began flooding my eyes and I covered them with my hands.

"No no no, please don't cry, Sahara." she quickly pulled me into her arms and I let my head fell onto her shoulder.

"I don't know. I don't know..." I wept, not stopping and not slowing down.

"Shhh..." she hushed me.

Spending a few seconds in her arms meant the world to me, I pulled away and she grabbed my face, "It'll be okay. In sha Allah." I nodded okay.

"Are you crying, Sahara?" that question startled me to death. It became worst when I discovered Hunter was standing right in front of me.

Those green eyes locked to mine but his expression was casual. LIKE ALWAYS.

"No, I'm not..." I denied the obvious fact while struggling to wipe the tears from my cheek with my sleeve.

"Bullshit. Don't lie to me, Sahara." he crossed his arms. The gentle tone was mocking me.

I glanced over at Amira and her mouth was already agape also her body was shaking. Pretending Hunter wasn't here with us, I told her to leave us alone, "It's okay, Amira. Can you leave us alone, please?"

"Y-You sure?"

"Yes, Amira. Go go go." I kept pushing her shoulders.

"Just go, Amira. Don't worry. I won't bite your best friend here." he delivered his sarcasm in a deadpan voice. Feeling intimidated, she instantly vanished into the restroom.

I punched his upper arm and he groaned while rubbing the sore spot, "Auchhh, what the fuck was that for?"

"Don't talk to her like that again." I scowled at him and he rolled his eyes.

"Now, tell me. Why are you crying?" he asked again, leaning against the counter to get closer to me.

To my surprise, he reached out his hand for my face and wiped the remaining tears from my cheek with his thumb.

In case he forgot that everybody in here was watching us, I jerked his hand away and backed off from the counter.

"Don't. They're watching us, Hunter." I whispered.

"I don't give a shit about them, Sahara." he shook his head.

"The only thing I care about is you."

That little romantic statement made my blood froze and melted my heart like fire on ice. How can he say something like that so openly?

My eyes shifted to the clock on the wall and it was time for me to go home. Thank God! I need to get away from him as soon as possible.

"It's time for me to go home." I said.

I moved away from the counter to get my bag but he had already grabbed a hold of my arm before I could do so.

"Let go of me, Hunter." I jerked my arm.

"Never. Tell me, why are you crying?" he kept on hitting me with the same question.

"That's none of your concern, Hunter." I attempted to push him away from me but he didn't move a muscle.

Not long after, I felt his grip on my arm got tighter and it was hurting me.

"Hunter, please let go. You're hurting me..." I pleaded and pulled my arm. This time, it worked. He let my arm go at last.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." his tone was apologetic, like he really meant that.

"I gotta go." I swiftly moved past him and left the cafe.

***************

Pushing my key into the lock of my house, a bad feeling just hit me hard. I could feel my heart beat, every single pound in my chest. It was nothing I ever felt before. Why is this happening?

Ignoring all sorts of possibilities, I pushed the door opened and went inside.

The first thing that came to my mind was 'mom'. I need to find her.

"Mom?" I called, inspecting my surroundings but she was nowhere to be found.

"Mom? Are you home?" I called again but even louder this time, still...

THERE WAS NO ANSWER.

That dark beating remained, alone in this house with me. I could feel it still, beating, pulsing and thumping. Why won't it stop?!

After that, I walked across the living room to the kitchen to check the last place she might be.

Entering the kitchen, I uttered a yelp in surprise of what I caught with my own eyes.

Someone...

My blood ran cold as my eyes landed on the unmoving body that was lying on the floor of the kitchen.

I didn't move, I didn't even breathe, I was frozen to the spot. Deep heavy breathes sounded nearby. The pounding was getting louder and louder. The sound was intolerable, my breathes got deeper and deeper by the second.

This isn't happening to me! Please, God! NO! NO! NO! Don't let it be...

The moment of truth, when I flipped the person...

MY HEART SHATTERED INTO BILLIONS OF PIECES.

It's my mother with broken glass shattered next to her dead body.

My world has come to an end. All of those thoughts...

Oh my God!

All those thoughts have been answered.

This is a nightmare!? NIGHTMARE! NIGHTMARE! NIGHTMARE!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?