Chapter 39

Death's POV

Markus was ready for the march, the rest of the androids were fired up and ready to go too. I noticed among all the loud cheering and commotion, there was (Y/N) slumped over leaning against the wall with her legs curled up into her chest. She was out cold... She needed the rest, when was the last time she actually slept? "Everyone's ready to go, you ready?" Markus had asked. "Uh, i think someone has to stay behind and watch over the ones who can't go." There were three or four androids that were too damaged to really walk, plus I didn't want to wake (Y/N), nor leave her on her own. Markus nodded in understanding with a quick look over at (Y/N). "Good luck, we believe in you." I told him. He looked nervous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The church was silent now. I know church is a place of faith, but I'm scared, there was a good probability that things wouldn't end well. They left maybe an hour ago, yeah, about an hour. There was a small beat up radio that North had found that I had on low volume, waiting for any news of what would happen.

"The whereabouts of the deviant are still unknown." A woman on the radio spoke. "The police say the deviant had exposed itself, and threatened to hurt or even kill the police force in the building." She continued. "The police opened fire inside the building to try and stop the rampaging android." Oh... "One of the police protected the deviant as it tried to escape. Police say he never actually opened fire but have requested that his identity be kept hidden." So, this is what happened? "A brave detective, Gavin Reed, even tried to pin it down, but it savagely attacked. He's now in the hospital, nothing fatal, but a nasty broken leg that will be a hard recovery." This doesn't sound right. "The deviant ended up escaping with extreme damage, many assume it shut down shortly after escaping the DPD." I looked over to (Y/N) who, to my surprise, was awake. Tears brimmed her eyes. "Hey," I put the volume on zero as I got up briskly. She put her arms up signaling for me to stay, I listened. She took deep shaky breaths to collect herself. "I'm okay." She insisted. "I'm sorry, I had it on to stay on top of what was going on." I apologized. "No, no, no apologies." She said as she stood from the bench. "How long have I been asleep?" The android asked. "About an hour and a half." I estimated. "Jeez, that long... Wait, where is everyone?" She looked around the now very empty place. "Following Markus to the camps." I said. "What!? Why did no one wake me?!" She exclaimed. "We didn't want to wake you, you needed sleep." She was already making her way out the door. "Hold up, idiot!" I yelled. "You're not in the right state to-" I started but was cut off. "Too bad, this idiot is not sitting and waiting!" She yelled... She was off, she was running down the street. "Go."

"What?" One of the androids that could no longer walk spoke up. "Go join everyone else." They ordered. "Nope, someone has to make sure you guys are okay." I stated. "We'll be fine, Markus needs as many people as he can get." They smiled. "..." "You know I'm right." They were trying so hard to get rid of me. "Stop being convincing! My job is to look over the injured androids!" I huffed. "You have a new job." They responded cheekily. "... You promise you'll be okay?" I asked, all three androids still here nodded. So... Guess I'm joining the rest.

Your POV

Running kind of hurt, but it was fine, it was tolerable. I can't believe they left me behind! Oh well, it's not too far now... Right, left, straight... And then right.

It was cold out, kind of nice. Perfect night for revolution. Markus could kiss my ass if he thought I was staying out of this, I'm so going to punch him.

I could here commotion up ahead. Soon I could see the camp, and a weird fortress? There was benches and sheet metal formed into walls. Alrighty then. I quickly hopped over the benches and landed inside. I scanned over the androids and eventually found Markus "yo, bitch." I greeted with a smile. "Wa-, you shouldn't be here." He spoke. I punched him in the shoulder "ow!" "You're out of your mind if you think I'm going to sit back." He looked at me uncertainly. "Are you sure?" He asked "yup!" I beamed. It brought him comfort and he trusted me. "If anything happens-" "enough, worry about the others." I rolled my eyes at him with a smile. He did just that, so I decided to collect any information I could.

Peeking my head above the walls the others had created, I saw a huge police force that I somehow managed to miss earlier. I could see the androids in the camps through the fences... Jesus...

The officers looked pissed, the one who I assumed was in command held up a megaphone "We have a proposal. If you disperse and stay out of our way, we'll spare you. Or you could all die here." His voice boomed. "Is that guaranteed safety for all androids?" I spoke up loudly, once I had asked it I immediately saw the 'shut-the-fuck-up-right-now' look Markus was shooting me. "How about you come out here to talk face to face about it?" The man proposed. "... That sounds like the worlds worst trap." I yelled back. "I promise, no trap, no one will shoot." He gave his promise, but was it truthful?

"(Y/N), leave stuff to me, you could get yourself killed!" Markus grabbed me by the wrist. "Haven't died yet." I smiled. He scoffed exasperatedly "I'm going, you're staying here." He said. "Are you crazy? It's obviously a trap. You're not going, I am." North entered the conversation. "No, I'll go." Simon also joined. "No, no. None of you are going. Got it?" Markus spoke, his voice held an irritated undertone. "I trust ya, I got your back if anything goes wrong." I smiled, he nodded. "Just... Be careful." North asked. With that, Markus hopped over the wall and walked up to the man. "If you leave now, your people will be safe."

"Even the ones in the camps?" Markus asked. "No, you don't have much of a choice here." He threatened. "Oh hoho... My answer is final." Markus huffed before coming back to the base. "Then prepare to die here." The man taunted over the megaphone.

How petty

"How petty." Someone iterated your thoughts. "Oh, Death, you came." You said as you looked over at the girl. "Yeah, I was talked into it. Maybe I'll live up to my name here." She laughed nervously. "Hopefully not." You rested your hand on her shoulder.

There was a small thud at your foot. You looked down and your system froze, a grenade lay at your feet "GET DOWN!" You screamed as you quickly threw the explosive away from the group just before the blast.

It was bright, it was powerful, and it was eardrum shattering loud. A wave of panic flooded over you, your body screamed to just curl up and hide.

Not right now, I can't do this right now.

Your heart raced and you were stuck in place.

God damnit! Move!

You were sick of this vulnerability, you just seemed to shut down when things got ugly.

"I know you're scared. But I need you to be strong for just a little longer."

You remembered Connor asking you that, you used that memory to push yourself forward. Just for a little longer, that's all you needed. The androids were taking cover, but none fought back. Markus was being the great leader he was and was making sure everyone was safe. It was so loud, why was there always guns? Your body shook but there you were, trying to get others to safety.

...the harsh reality is that you can't save everyone. Your numbers were decreasing as the amount of deaths were increasing. "(Y/N)! Get down!" Simon shouted at you. "This won't stop if we just sit here like sitting ducks!" You yelled over the sound of bullets flying past your head. Warning screens flashed in your field of vision, your system was going haywire with stress and panic. Nonetheless, you grabbed a thick piece of sheet metal before making either, a very brave or, very stupid decision. You jumped over the wall that was now littered with bullet holes. You were directly in the line of fire with nothing but a piece of metal. You just Prayed as you slowly took steps towards the police force that lined up like a wall.

The man who was speaking on the megaphone before looked at you with intrigue. Your body shook violently and you were having a hard time breathing but you kept going.

"(Y/N)!!!" Markus shouted panicked. The megaphone guy held his hand up to tell his squad to cease fire. "So that's who you are..." He looked down at you with a smirk as you slowly lowered the heavily dented scrap metal. "The one and only." You shot at him, putting on your best brave and calm face.

1580 words