Chapter 68

"What are you doing?" You asked the strawberry blond who had stopped to look down at the ground. "Nothing, just looking at trash." She shrugged before walking on. "This place really is a waste town." She mumbled. She was right, the streets were littered with trash of all sorts and the smell of moldy rotting wood pervaded through out the whole place. "But it's nice and quiet here." You pointed out as you both entered one of the many houses on the verge of collapse. Connor and Michael had gone to check others. "This is like a bad game of hide and seek." You mumbled to yourself as you made your way through the house quickly. The hallway had a lot of pictures still hung up on the wall. You looked at them and came across a framed colorful drawing, looks like it was made with crayon. You smiled as it was most definitely a young child who was the artist.

Ah haha, perspective change
How many houses do we have to look through before we find the android? I wan't to leave. "Hey, Connor, why'd you wanna come along?" Michael asked me, it had been silent between us until now, I wish it still was. "Why?" I asked. "You're not all that hard to read. You hate this, don't you?" Michael spoke as he opened the door to a house. "You think I'm easy to read? How so?" He caught my interest, I never thought I was one to be expressive. He hummed as he thought about it "I'd say it's in the eyes, you get a certain look when you're uncomfortable, and you tend to stare at one space when you have something on your mind." He explained as we looked through the decaying building. "Oh..." I didn't know that. "So what's on your mind?" The raven haired android stopped to look me in the eye when he asked, hands buried in his pockets. I thought carefully on what I wanted to say "You've become much friendlier lately. You used to be very abrasive." I mentioned cautiously as to not come off as rude. "Ah, yeah. Guess I have." He chuckled... I was kinda hoping for some sort of explanation maybe? "Why?" I coaxed. "Setting up a wall. I thought I could keep my distance from everyone, but they're fucking relentless. Then (Y/n) came around and I panicked and tried even harder. Though, it was tiring." He sighed at himself. "Pardon me if I'm prying too much, but why did you want to do that?" My curiosity had gotten the better of me. "... The last time I got close to someone I ended up hurting them." You laughed uncomfortably. "Though they hurt me back so I guess we're sorta even... I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to do worse to me." While listening to what he was saying, my eyes were drawn to the scar across his face, a gut feeling told me that he was referring to the large mark. "...sorry for bringing it up."

"I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't want to. I don't want to hide thing from you." His last statement struck me as odd and Michael could tell I was confused. "I can see you don't like me much, so I simply don't want to give you a reason to." He gave me a quick smile as we headed out of yet another empty house. "I don't dislike you." He just gave me a a look that said he didn't believe me for a second... (Y/n) did say I was a bad liar.

We entered what felt like the hundredth house and on the floor was a damaged android. I felt bad for feeling relieved at the sight of them, I was just happy we didn't have to stay here much longer. I contacted (Y/n) to let her and Death know we found the android and they came quickly with the supplies we needed.

Death replaced parts that needed to be quickly and we brought them back to the church.

**********************************

"Ugh, I can still smell the mold." You wined. "If only there was a way to solve that." Connor said sarcastically with a smile as he looked towards the bathroom. You responded with an equally sarcastic laugh "come, come!" You beckoned him to follow you to the bath.

You both sat in the warm water, Connor had his arms around your waist, and you laid your head on his shoulder, him the same. "Man, it felt like this day would never end." You mumbled, Connor hummed in agreement. "I'm glad we're home." Connor said as he squeezed you a little tighter. "Mhm... We don't have anything planned for tomorrow do we?" You asked. "No."

"Then how about we go somewhere better than a rotting town?" You suggested. Connor laughed, "a lot of places are better than a rotting town." You rolled your eyes with a smile "smartass." You giggled. "Yeah, but you love me." He said cockily. "Yeah, I do." You agreed before giving him a quick kiss. "Did you have anywhere in mind?" Connor asked. "No, you should pick since you didn't have to come with me today. So let's do something you want to do." You left the decision up to him and he thought about it for a good minute.

"...dogs." Was the only thing he said. You snorted at the randomness of it. "What?" You giggled. "The adoption centers with all the dogs, I wanna spend a day there." He decided. "Day of dogs it is." You beamed, and couldn't help thinking about how adorable he could be at times.

****************************************

"(Y/n), do you know how we know we're alive?" E@&$ asked. "Breathing, heart beat-" you began but she quickly cut you off "No, you're thinking too logically." She told you. "... The meaning of life is forty two." You tried to answer again. She just quietly laughed "The answers pain." She gave you the answer, you just stared at her blankly. "A rock or desk can't feel pain, it gives us our emotions. When you're hurt physically, you usually cry if it hurts enough. If you're hurt emotionally, you can cry, you can be angry, you can be confused, and when you're not hurting, you're happy." She explained her reasoning. "Sounds reasonable." You said. She sighed "what I'm trying to get at here is you know you're alive if you feel pain." She concluded... Sounds a little emo, but okay. She got up and came back with a small knife. "What are you doing?" You asked. "Relax." Was all she said as she sat back down.

She took the knife and made a small cut on the back of her hand. "Hey, wait, no!" You tried grabbing the knife away from her, she just pulled it away from you. "Relax. Give me your hand." She instructed you, you did as told. She made the same cut on your hand. "... Androids aren't capable of feeling pain." You said. "Well, I think you're wrong. Don't heal it. I want you to try and feel the pain the same way I do." She said while she held her matching cut. "Why would you want me to do that?" You questioned her once more. "It's the only way to convince you that you're alive at this point." She shrugged. You gave a long sigh "Fine. But let's get the cut disinfected."

**************************************

You stood in the silent classroom being equally as silent as to not disturb as Michael wrote on the board, they were science questions for the kids to answer. The sound of chalk on the chalk board and the scribble of pencils on paper was amplified by the absence of any other sound. There was never much for you to do in class, you were there to make sure the kids behaved and if they needed help with anything. No one ever acted up, and it was rare for someone to ask for help unless they wanted you to check their work.

You stared down at the cut on your hand which you hadn't healed. How were you supposed to feel pain?

You were lost in thought most of the day from then on. You were told to do something but you didn't know how. You helped all the kids get ready for bed, the younger ones couldn't reach things like their toothbrushes and making sure everyone was going to their rooms.

Feel pain?

You sat in the kitchen alone staring once more at the cut on your hand. "So if I can feel pain.... I'm alive?" You asked yourself in a quiet mumble. You messed with the cut with your other hand as if it would make it hurt somehow. You ran your finger along the rim of the cut and it started to bleed ever so slightly.

I want to feel it.

You dug at the cut more and more.

Feel it.

At this point you were making the cut worse, ripping at the skin around it.

You let out a loud yelp as a strong unpleasant feeling shot through your hand. Was this pain? You wanted it to go away now that you felt it. You healed over the cut and the feeling slowly faded. You washed your hands and joined the rest of androids for the rest of the night. You had a lot to contemplate.

First semester really said "no❤️" to my time to write lol