Chapter 42

You stirred at the sound of feet shuffling and heavy panting. "Shh, relax Sumo, you'll wake up (Y/N)." You heard Hank talk to the dog and you laid there smiling at it. "Good morning lieutenant, Sumo." You greeted with a smile, tipping an invisible hat at the dog who seemed to have a happy smile. "Well... So much for not waking you." Hank huffed. "Aw, he's a good boy so it's fine." You smiled as you pet the big dog. "Where's Connor?" You asked. "Still sleeping, I thought he'd be the type to be up and ready at the crack of dawn." Hank said. "Hmm, what time is it?" You asked as you looked around for some sort of clock. "Almost noon." Hank grumbled as he grabbed a beer from the fridge...

You headed down the hallway and knocked on Connors door, no response. So you slowly opened the door to see Connor fast asleep curled up in the bed, you smiled at his resting face. You went in and silently sat on the bed, it dipped from the weight and Connor stirred. "Good morning~" you cooed. Connor groaned as he rubbed his eyes. "Good morning sleepyhead." You smiled as he sat up. "Morning... How long have I been asleep?" He asked. "Well, it's almost noon." He looked shocked. "Noon? That's really late." He said as he quickly got out of the sheets and made the bed, you stood up to get out of his way and helped him. "No it's not, besides, I bet it was nice to just sleep." You shrugged. "Yeah, I feel a lot better but I can't sleep all day, I still have a work schedule at the DPD." Connor said as he ran his hands through his hair, it was all messy thanks to bed head.

You chuckled to yourself as you grabbed his tie that he had neatly placed on the night stand. "... You need more clothes." You laughed as you put the tie around his collar and he did it himself. "Says the one who only has a T-shirt, no bra, and short shorts." He smirked, that damn smirk. "Yeah, we both need some new clothes." You laughed.

You and Connor stepped out of the room and Hank was on the couch drinking a beer, and watching Tv with Sumo laying on the couch next to him. "Morning." Hank greeted Connor. "Good morning, sorry I slept in so late." Connor apologized. "Naaaa, I couldn't care less. Hell, I do it most of the time." Hank said before taking a big swig from his bottle. "Note, never a bad time to drink." You joked as you sat down on a chair and curled your legs up into your chest. "Correct." Hank chuckled. "I don't have to worry about hangovers at work." Hank stated. "You didn't care at the start." Connor pointed out as he sat down on another chair. "Hey... I take my job very seriously." Hank said with a straight face as he continued drinking. A couple more seconds and you broke the silence with your laughter. "So, are you going to the DPD tomorrow?" Hank asked Connor. "Of course, plus now I'm considered an employee, so I'll be getting a salary." Connor said. "In it for the money?" Hank asked. "Well, we have to make money if we're ever going to get out of your way."

"Good." Hank huffed. "I'll go with you, I'll see if I can get another uniform." I piped up. Connor and Hank kinda just went silent. "W-what?" I asked confused. "Can you, go back to the DPD?" Hank asked worriedly. "Well, it's not like they have a reason to ban me or something." You completely missed the question. "Can you do it though?" Connor reiterated for you. "Oh, well...I think so. Where else would I go?" You chuckled as you spoke. "Okay, just, if you're going to come with me, if it becomes to much. You don't have to stay there." Connor spoke gently. "Oh come on, don't baby me. I'm not some sad little bird with broken wings you have to pity." You put your arms up in defense as you spoke. "Alright, alright. But you can't stop us from being worried." Hank said as he got up to toss a bottle away.

"There's no reason to be worried!" You sighed tired of this conversation you'd seem to be having over and over. "But there is, you clearly have symptoms of-" "I don't have anything! Why does everyone think something's wrong with me?" You cut Connor off, getting annoyed. Hank and Connor looked at each other as if they could read each other's thoughts before they both silently looked at you. "What?" You now we're confused.

As if they had practiced it they both slammed their hands on a counter or table, creating a loud boom. You jumped with a Yelp and put your hands around your head as if to create a shield. Your heart raced. "Clear symptoms of PTSD." Connor finished his sentence that he hadn't gotten to finish. "Why the fuck would you do that?!" You yelled, you were scared and panicked within seconds. "Heightened reactions, hyper vigilance, self-destructive behavior, fear, flashbacks, nightmares, irritability. They're all symptoms you've shown." Connor spoke with a sympathetic look. You stayed silent. "Listen kid, I'm not going to give you shit, but you have to accept your problems before you can fix them." Hank said. "We're right here (Y/N), talk to us, there's professionals too." Connor continued to speak as he got up and walked up to you. You stood up from your seat "I don't want to be a burden on anyone." You mumbled. "And you're not." Hank said and Connor embraced you and you just nestled your face into his shoulder. "Man... This is some serious bullshit." You laughed. "Yeah... But we're here for ya, kid." Hank patted you on the back. It was nice knowing these two were here for you.

~~~~~Time skip queens~~~~~

Connor gently shook you awake at the early hour of 5:00am, it was Monday. "Morning." You smiled. "Hello, we have to leave in twenty minutes." He said as he walked off to go do, I dunno, something. "Morin' dumbasses."Hank grumbled as he waddled out of his room. You giggled at him as you were still properly waking up. "You're not going to the DPD like that, are you?" Hank asked you. "Well, I thought they'd have a uniform around." You shrugged. "Nuh-uh." Hank shook his head as he walked over to a closet and shuffled around the top shelf for something. He pulled down a good sized box and dropped it with a heavy thud. "Pick out something that doesn't make you look like a mess." Hank ordered as you looked at the box confused. "Says you." Connor laughed at Hank and Hank told him to shut up as he continued laughing.

You crouched down and opened the box to see it full of woman's clothes. Considering what Hank normally wore, it had style. "Where did you get this?" You asked as you shuffled around. "Stuff that was left after the divorce." He said nonchalant. Yeah, you weren't asking anything else.

You found something that was professional enough, a black long sleeved sweater and black jeans, simple yet pretty. "Thanks, Hank." You gave him a smile. "No problem, I had to get rid of them." He huffed. Unlike you and Connor, Hank was sitting on the couch watching TV, stuck at home for a week. You quickly brushed your hair and met Connor at the front door. "Ready to go?" He asked. "Yup!" You opened the door and was greeted by the cool winter air.

Hank had given Connor permission to use his car, but strictly only to and from work. You both got in and the second the engine started the radio blasted making you jump. Connor turned it down quickly. "Jumpy, jumpy." You tried to laugh it off. "Don't push yourself too hard today." Connor worried. You just hummed.

The ride there was peaceful and quiet. The snow had seemed to melt, it would be back soon enough. In the silence Connor coughed but fell silent once more. You turned on the radio at low volume so there was some sort of noise. "You think Captain Fowler will be shocked to see me walk through the doors?" You laughed. "I would think so." Connor answered. The building was in sight and you started feeling uneasy, you closed your eyes and told yourself everything was fine, there was nothing to be afraid of now. You let out a deep breath before opening your eyes once more. The car had come to a stop and Connor squeezed your hand reassuringly. You returned the gesture before stepping out of the car. There you were, back at this place...

With one more deep breath to calm your racing heart, you stepped into the building with Connor. The place seemed to fall silent as familiar eyes fell on you. Everyone was staring...

"So, uh.... I see you got a, new door..."

1528 words