Chapter 43

Connor walked towards Captain Fowlers office and you followed close behind wanting to hide from everyones stares. Captain Fowler, as you suspected, was very surprised to see you. "Good morning, Captain Fowler." Connor greeted formally. "Hello." You smiled awkwardly. "Morning... Well, what brings this visit?" He asked you. "Oh, I wanted to ask if I could possibly still have a place at the DPD, sir." You said as you fumbled with your hands behind your back. "Oh, I didn't expect you'd want to come back after, uh, the incident." The man answered. "I ask that you don't bring that up." Connor stepped into the conversation respectively. Fowler nodded in understanding. "My bad." He apologized. You personally wouldn't have said anything but it felt nice to have him being protective over you. "Well, if you wish, you do have a job here." He smiled one of those business man smiles that you can always tell are fake. "Thank you sir." You returned his smile despite its emptiness. "You, Connor, and Hank will be under homicide investigation." He informed you and showed you the exit as he returned to his work.

You walked back out with Connor feeling happy and wearing a smile, Connor hid a small smile, it was contagious. Your desk hadn't even been touched, it was all still there. Some peoples gazes still remained on you but you could handle it. You sat down and logged on to the computer, no more android wanted cases.

It felt weird just being here, it scared you, but it also made you happy. Yeah you had a couple bad experiences here but there were also happy memories here as well. You looked over everything, someone knocked on the edge of your desk to grab your attention. "Yes?" You looked up to see a familiar coworker. "Fowler said to give these to you." He put a file full of papers on your desk and walked off. You shrugged and looked over the papers. It was all just unfinished paperwork that needed to be finished. You grabbed a pen and the endless writing began. You never thought you'd ever had missed filling out paperwork, you knew that wasn't going to last long at all.

You looked up to Connors desk and smiled to yourself. Before going back to work. You were interrupted by some person rolling their chair over to you. "Do you need something?" You asked looking up from your desk. "You're the android that escaped, huh?" The guy jabbed. "...yup." You went back to your work, not interested in talking about that. "Ha, that was crazy. I think I landed like two shots." He jabbed once more. Man, where was this asshole before? You could see Connor was looking straight at him, staring daggers. "Really, only two? You should really practice your aim." You shot right back with a calm voice and expression. He didn't like your response "tch, fucking android." Was all he said. "Shut up, don't be mad at her because your trash." A woman smirked at the guy as she walked passed, it was the same girl that was always with Gavin... Huh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

overall, the day wasn't really eventful. But it was a good way to get back into the swing of things. Captain Fowler gave you and Connor actual uniforms that you were to wear from now on, so you were excited.

You stepped into the car, placing Connor and your new uniforms in the back seat as he got in as well. "How was the first day?" He asked with a smile. "Good, though I'm waiting for Hank to get back." You smiled, he laughed. "I think Hank is enjoying his time off."Connor snickered. "He won't once he runs out of his precious alcohol." You pointed out. Connors face fell at that idea "...oh no." He muttered. You thought his overreaction was hilarious and started laughing which made Connor laugh as well. Connor started coughing and you started calming down as you patted his back.

"Don't die." You joked. You saw him smile as he ran the back of his hand across his lips. He paused and stared at his hand "what?" You asked. He wiped off his hand "nothing, we should start heading back to Hank's." He smiled. "Okay." You smiled back, brushing off whatever that was. If Connor didn't think it was important, it probably wasn't.