Chapter 66

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to be left alone anymore." You spoke up as you chopped away on the cutting board. "I'm well behaved." Connor responded jokingly as he helped you prepare dinner. "I'm being serious here, yesterday could've ended badly easily." Unlike him, you weren't joking. "It was just a one time thing, a slip up." Connor argued. "If it happened once, it can happen again. I'm just being realistic, Connor." Connor sighed at you. "You worry too much, it won't happen again, really." Connor was really stubborn when he wanted to be. "I'd rather worry too much than not at all. I think it's best if you're not left alone, so you're always near someone who knows how to handle your episodes when they come around." You voiced your thoughts aloud while keeping a calm tone, his stubbornness could get on your nerves and you didn't want this to turn into a fight. "I'm not being babysat." He refused the idea as soon as it came out of your mouth. "I never said it was babysitting." You rebutted his refusal. "People would have to take time out of their day and I'd be in their way." Connor continued. "I really don't know why you have this strong idea that you're a burden to everyone but you're not." You sighed at him.

"It's not that I am, it's that I don't want to be." Connor corrected you. "Okay, but there's still a difference between asking for help and being a burden." Connor couldn't argue with that, though it would be a lie to say that changed his view on the idea. "All I'm proposing is that instead of being home alone, maybe just hang out at the church so there's always someone around, we could always also ask Hank." Your options were limited thanks to your small group of friends. Connor sighed, he knew you had a point "The only person at the church that I'm comfortable around is Markus, if you haven't noticed I suck at being social." Connor gave you a little desperate smile as he laughed dryly.

You smiled "Yes, everyone can see from ten miles away that your socially awkward as hell. But they all love you, so you don't have to worry about that." Connor laughed. "You think knowing that will stop me? You underestimate my overthinking powers." Connor joked, you laughed. "Fine fine, don't think I don't notice you trying to change the subject. We'll talk about it later." Connor pouted at you but agreed. "It'll be nice seeing Hank outside of work." Connor said.

Hank was coming over for dinner, which was why you were both cooking. "Yeah, it'll be nice seeing him without a dead body in the room." You laughed. You looked up from the cutting board "Hey do you- ow! Shit!" You suddenly yelped as you cut yourself with the knife you had foolishly looked away from. "Dumbass." You cursed at yourself. "Are you okay?" You had startled Connor and he was worriedly hovering around you not knowing what was wrong. "Yeah, yeah, just got myself with the knife." You reassured him as you stopped clutching your hand and watched as the cut healed shut in a matter of seconds. You sighed at yourself as you washed your hands from the therium your wound had left behind. "The idiot is perfectly fine." You smiled as you showed Connor your hands that were now fine.

He shook his head at you. "You've lost knife privileges." He told you. "Darn, how will I ever take over the world without my trusty weapon." You laughed. "... Dork." Was all Connor responded with. You gasped dramatically as you switched jobs. "Understandable." You said earning you a huff from Connor. You hummed to yourself as you worked on whatever the heck the reader has chosen. Five minutes passed and Connor started giggling to himself, he seemed very amused. "What?" You looked up from what you were doing. "I've lost knife privileges." He continued to giggle. "Jeez, are you okay?" You sighed at both of your incompetence to use a simple knife as you looked at Connors hand, it healed up just like yours did and he washed his hands just as you'd done. "Yup, it doesn't hurt....." He stopped and thought hard about what he just said. "Deviants don't feel pain." He said. "Uh-huh." You agreed with him. "But you do." He continued. "Hmm, I suppose I do. Never really thought about it." You shrugged your shoulders, you'd overthink it later, not right now.