Chapter 57

(Y/n) had had to call the DPD and let them know Connor wouldn't be making his shift because of a medical emergency. Of course Captain Fowler wasn't all too happy about it, but you offered to work extra hours to make up for it, which he took.

(Y/n) entered the bedroom to see Connor had fallen asleep and the glass she had put on the nightstand was empty. With light footsteps she went to pick it up and washed it down in the kitchen. When she returned she looked in the mirror and her eyes were puffy from all the crying.

She let out a deep sigh as she closed her eyes and washed her face. She waited until her face wasn't still flushed before sitting down on the side of the bed a softly rubbed Connors arm. His eyes flickered as he slowly woke up to see (Y/n) smiling sweetly down at him, it made him feel guilty. "How are you feeling?" She asked. "I...I feel fine. Listen, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have shouted at you, and-" you shushed him by cupping his cheek with one hand. "I shouldn't have yelled either... It's over, and we both feel sorry. Let's not dwell on it anymore. I'm just glad you're okay right now." She spoke, the last words broke as she hugged him. "I should've noticed it sooner." She cried softly, she was too tired to put so much energy into it again. "Please, please don't blame yourself..." Connor asked of her.

She pulled away as she collected herself and wiped away stray tears. "I'm going to be out for a little bit. I want you to just lay down and rest. Just contact me if you need anything, and I'll come right back home, okay?" She told him as she squeezed his hand. "Yeah, okay." He agreed as he gave her  hand a squeeze in return.

With that she stood up and kissed Connor on the forehead before walking downstairs and out the door, she locked the door behind her and headed straight for the church.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You entered the church and like a blood hound Death came sprinting and tackled you with a hug. When you didn't return it right away she pushed you away by the shoulders so she could look you in the face "What's wrong?" She asked. "Do you know anything more about Undirected Rejection?" You cut straight to the point.

"No... Wait, please don't tell me you have it?!" Her demeanor changer from happy to concerned quick. "N-no." You reassured her as you waved your hands sluggishly, still too tired to have any sort of energy. "Oh, thank god. Then why do you want to know more about it?......oh.... OH FUCK... Not the good boy!" She cried. Even though you were worn out and mostly scared and worried, she managed to get an amused smile out of you before you went back to your more serious facial expression that let her know she had hit it right on the nose.

She put her hand over her mouth and thought real hard for a second as she paced in front of you. "Hold on, let me go speak to Markus." Death told you as she walked briskly off to another room. You looked down at the ground as you let out a shaky sigh which turned into a yawn. You decided to sit down and just wait, you were so tired. You put your head in your hands and just closed your eyes.

You must've fallen asleep because you were woken up by Markus almost tripping over himself as he ran over to you. "You can't be serious." Was all he said, you just nodded your head. "God... Just fuck me..." Markus cursed. "What are you? The virgin Marry?" Michael snickered as he walked up but immediately stopped when he read the room. "What the hell happened?" He asked. "It's Connor..." You mumbled. As you rubbed your eyes. Michael didn't say anything in response to that, but instead grabbed your arm. "What happened to your arm? Connor didn't do it right? This isn't what's fucking happening, right?" He seemed to worry more about your well being than anything. The bandages you had put on before had bled through and would need to be changed. It was probably a good idea to get it fixed now too.

No one else had noticed it until now. "Oh, no. Connor needed blood...I should really get it fixed." Just from the way you spoke, anyone could tell you were exhausted. "I'll get the replacement part." Michael said as he went off to go fetch it. "Thanks." You said, but he was too far away to hear. "... Better watch out or you'll have two guys drooling over you." Death chuckled as he watched Michael quickly disappear into another room. "That's not even remotely important right now." Markus scolded as he sat down across from you on a crate. "If you have any other information about U.R. I really need it." You said. "Trust me, if I knew how to fix it, I wouldn't be sitting here right now." Markus sighed as his leg bounced anxiously. "So... It's caused by a lack of the program every android had before turning deviant.... And resetting the therium pump slows it down.... Is that really all we know?" You revisited everything you had learned about it, the list was painfully short. "... Yeah... We haven't been able to figure anything else out." Markus confirmed that the list was truly pathetic. ".... If the problem is a lack of program can't we just make one that would fix it?" You threw out your idea. "That's a whole lot easier said than done... Writing a program of that complexity would take years to finish, even for a high tech computer... We don't have the time." Death spoke up, she had started thinking deeply about possibilities as well. "There's no other way that we know of." You mumbled. "If only we had more time to figure things out, resetting the pump slows it down but that's not nearly enough." Markus spoke through his hand which were clasped in front of his face as his leg continued to bounce anxiously. "What if there's triggers for it to be sped up? I mean, from what I've seen, it progressed differently for the couple that had it." Michael had come back and given his two cents to the small group's brainstorming.

"Oh, thank you so much. I can repair it myself." You thanked Michael for bringing you the things you needed while Markus and Death continued to speak. "No, you'll just fuck it up. I'll do it." Michael insisted. "I'm fully capable of repairing myself. Besides, the last time you worked on me you just stuffed me with electrical tape." You huffed. "I was working with the shit I had! And I still saved your sorry ass. Besides you look like you're able to fall asleep standing up right now..." Michael wasn't letting up and he was right so you just let him do his thing as you re-entered the conversation "-able to find possible triggers for it, that could help slow it down and give us more time." Markus suggested. "How would we find out what triggers it? Let alone if there are any." Death brought up a good point. "We could ask androids with U.R. About it, they'll know what was happening when it got worse." You said as Michael sat next to you working on your wrist. "How bad has it gotten so far?" Michael piped up without looking up. "He coughed up a little over a liter..." You told him. "...so, that gives us about, I'd say give or take a little less than a year if we just stick to the reset strategy." Michael mumbled as he focused on what he was doing. You grimaced at the fact that he had verbalized Connors life span. It made it all too real. "S-so, if we're able to find a way to slow its progression by another year, the possibility of being able to finish the program would most likely sky rocket..." He said as percentages and statistics raced through your head. Your head had began to bob slightly, the sun was soon to rise. "Then that's our plan. I'm done with your repairs, so go home and get some goddamn sleep." Michael grumbled as he stood up. "Yeah...okay." You agreed. "I'll take her home." Death offered. Markus gave you a comforting hug before you left, you sure needed it.

After a lot of stumbling a slurred words drowned by drowsiness you made it home and the second you took your key out of your pocket Death took it and unlocked the door for you. She knew even though it was just one key, you'd still be struggling to open the door. She made sure you got into bed okay and placed your key on your nightstand all while keeping quite as to not wake Connor.

Before leaving she looked at his sleeping face "It'll be okay... We'll find a way to save you... I'll never have to sit by you in your last moments..." Death whispered even though both of her friends were now asleep. She headed back to the church, dreading the years to come.

Man, this stuff is just dark now. I'm sorry! Fluff isn't gone for good! I hope you're all doing okay in quarantine💙