Chapter 51

The place was much nicer since the last time you had been. Cracks in the walls had been filled and painted over, new glass was put in the windows, the door was also new. With slight excitement you opened the door to see a couple dozen androids, and your eyes immediately locked onto your friends. Death came barreling towards you and gave you a bear hug, it almost knocked the wind out of you. "(Y/n)! It's about time you stopped by!" She exclaimed. "Don't kill her." Markus chuckled as he made his way over to greet the both of you. Death let go of you and greeted Connor with a smile and a slap to the back that caught him off guard. "How've ya been?" You asked the heterochromatic male. "Busy, but getting by. How have you been doing" he returned the question. "Good, works been busy, and we've saved up enough money to buy a house, were going to go take a look at it tomorrow actually." You smiled at the near future of your and Connor's life together. "Wow, that's great... How's everything going with..." He motioned his hands to represent a gun and you understood. "I'm fine, I mean, there's a lot of nightmares and the occasional panic attack, and loud unexpected noises still scare the shit out of me, but I can handle it." You smiled reassuringly, he gave a nod.

"Hello, Markus." Connor greeted, seemed he finally escaped the giddy blond. "Hey." Markus's smile seemed to grow. "Pfft, alright, I'll leave you two to your bromance." You chuckled. "I'll steal your mans." Markus laughed. "Haha." You said as you walked away to say hello to others. You saw Death had made her way to the back corner of the room and was bugging Michael, who obviously was ready to snap at her, and she knew it.

You decided to go over, their conversation becoming clearer as you got closer. "Come on, mr. Edgy! You can't stay mysterious forever!" She poked at him. "Up yours blonde!" He scoffed as he swatted her hand away, his other holding a book. "Just tell me where you got the badass scar." She laughed as she could see the raven haired male get more and more annoyed. "How many times do I have to tell you to fuck off?" He scoffed. "How many times will you say it before you tell me where the scar came from?" She answered cheekily. "Not a happy place, there, you happy?" His eye was twitching in annoyance. You decided to sit on a pew and continue observing the chaos. "Wow, really? Details hoe, I need details!" Death continued to push him. "I swear, I'm going to kick your fucking ass!" He shouted. "Do it, I dare you, do it!" Death shook him, trying to provoke him to follow through with his threat. "Having fun?" You piped up, you had an amazed smile as you looked at them. "Great, just great..." Michael huffed as he went back to looking down at his book. "How have you been?" You asked as you brushed off his remark. "Fine, haven't killed anybody yet..." He didn't look up from his book as he spoke, his voice held boredom. "Score, body count has not been raised." You laughed, the male hid a smile. "So... Speaking of body counts, how's the detective thing going after returning?" He asked, finally closing his book. "Surprisingly well, how have things been with you?" You continued small talk. "Ugh, Markus tries way to hard on helping everyone and has dragged me into it... Along with fixing up this garbage dump." He complained. "Doesn't help that we have no clue how to help some." Michael mumbled. "Wow, sounds real fun. You know if you need help, you can just contact me." You offered your help. As the conversation went on, the rest of your 'team' slowly came into a little group.

"We're working on getting the androids we can on their feet, getting jobs-" Markus was saying. "And getting the fuck outa here." Michael cut in. "Real nice..." Simon disapproved of his attitude. "Silence, twink." Michael decided name calling was the way to go. Simon just scoffed.

As you all caught up with each other a little girl android caught your attention in another part of the room. She was coughing consistently as her hands covered her mouth. Her coughing fit just grew more violent, though no one noticed yet. You'd completely zoned out of the conversation and payed close attention to her. She went to wipe her mouth and you caught a glimpse of the palm of her hand, completely drenched in therium. At that, you got up and walked over to her briskly. "Hey, what's going on?" You asked worriedly. "I- do, don- kno." She couldn't speak properly through her coughing and blood. Very quickly, others started noticing the scene unfolding. She wheezed as more therium poured out of her mouth like a river.

It was too much, too much therium. She has on her hands and knees heaving. "Is there any therium bottles around here?" You asked Markus as you had a hand on her back. "Yeah." Was all he said before dashing off to go find some. "Lean back, it's not pleasant, but you won't die. (Y/n), please keep her as calm as possible. I can't work with someone losing their shit." Michael stepped in. He helped her lay down on her back. She looked scared as blue blood filled her mouth. You held her hand and did your best to sooth her. He pressed his palm against the middle of her chest to show her inner workings. The therium pump was red, over heated, and going way to strong. He removed it completely from her body which made everyone collectively uncomfortable and panicked. With out that part, no android could even last a minute. He quickly worked to reattach it to wires, it was sort of like a reset.

Her skin closed over and as soon as Michael leaned back she shot up to cough up the rest of the therium that was left to pool in her mouth. Though, it seemed no more therium was being spewed up. "Just breath, it's over, you're still here." You reassured the small girl, she took comfort in your words as her breathing steadied. Markus came back in with a bottle of therium with cyberlife's logo printed on the side and handed it to her as he instructed her to drink the entire thing. You stayed by her side until she was done, making sure she stayed calm. "T-thank you." Her meek raw voice said as she put the empty bottle on the ground. "It's okay." You just smiled softly, before helping on cleaning up the mess.

Connor looked pretty shaken up and walked outside. You, Markus, Michael, and Death followed behind him. "What was that? What just happened?" Connor asked the three who were residence of the church. "Undirected Rejection, or U.R. We didn't really know what it was when we were still at Jericho, and honestly, we still don't know all that much about it. It's not common, actually pretty rare." Markus explained. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to need a little more info to understand what just went down." You said. "When an android becomes a deviant, they're no longer running on a program, and sometimes their systems are unable to function properly or doesn't know how. So now that the body has no instructions, it doesn't know anything that it supposed to do. For some reason, therium is seen as an unknown substance and is rejected from the system. Though without it, an android will die, we still don't know how to stop it, all we can do is prolong it." Michael enlightened you further in the matter. "God... That's fucked up." You mumbled in disbelief. Connor looked scared, he was defiantly startled by this whole situation. "By the way, thank you for keeping her calm." Markus thanked you. "You always were good with children." Michael said, as if he was speaking his mind without a filter. "What?" You asked confused. "Oh, nothing." He seemed almost alarmed that you had heard him. "Okay...weirdo." You brushed it off. "Then, are there more here that have this problem?" You asked Markus. "There used to be... Now it's just her. Androids can only lose so much blood..." Death answered your question.

After some more talk about it, you and Connor were heading back to Hank's... Your visit hadn't left off on the best note.