Chapter 48

The two still stood there ever so uncomfortable as you no longer payed attention to your surroundings and threw yourself in to, in a way, wonder land... Yeah, no puns, I'll stop. You looked up at the suspects "okay, there's a lot of possibilities and a majority don't look great, so, will you be so kind to just tell me, and make my job so much easier." You said with a small amused smile.

David didn't say anything, he was defiantly determined. "I'm sorry." Scarlet piped up. "To make money I've been bringing guys home for cash and I've been able to find people that are willing to pay a lot I just wanted to get out of this place and I know it's illegal I'm sorry." Her words mushed together with desperation, and pleading. The man to her left looked at her in disbelief and anger. "Are you serious?!" He yelled. While, yes, prostitution is illegal, you saw where the poor girl was coming from. "Hey, calm down. You still had the money in your pocket, so nothing went down right?" You asked, they nodded. "Therefor, there was no transaction, no crime. And since you haven't been caught Ms. Scarlet, you get to say you've gotten away with breaking the law." You gave them a reassuring smile, they looked at you as if you had two heads. "No transaction happened, so you have a perfectly legal alibi. Plus, we can't do anything about what you've done in the past if we don't have anything on you." You reiterated. The young woman's face lit up with relief, so did David's. "Really?" The man asked, you nodded. "All I ask is that you please don't continue this behavior." You asked of Scarlet. "There are many outcomes like STDs, human trafficking, ect. There are much better ways to get money. Im saying this for your safety, my job is to protect citizens, and as unsettling as it is, if you were to continue this, there's a good possibility that the next homicide case that comes along will be yours." You warned the girl. She looked shocked at your grim view on the subject, but she understood. "T-thank you, detective." She gave a small smile before walking away from you. 

You sat down in a near by chair with a big sigh, two suspects left... Before continuing anything else, you wanted to talk to Connor, you'd never seen him so unprofessional on the job, something wasn't right. You looked around the building, he wasn't on any of the floors. You found the back doors to the building and pushed it open. The android was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. "Hey~" you said in a soft sing-song voice. He opened his eyes to look at you with a smile smile. "What's going on?" You continued to speak in the soft soothing voice. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't know how you did it." He laughed. "What do you mean?" You asked as you joined him against the wall. "These, emotions... They're so fucking annoying." He cursed, he was visibly frustrated. "They are at first. But it settles down after a little bit. I still get mood swings from time to time. If it's ever too much, you can let me know and you can just cool off." You spoke. "I don't want to be a problem." He scoffed. "I-I'm sorry, that came out really wrong." He apologized. You just laughed and hugged him "you're not a problem, you're a living being. There's nothing wrong with needing some help from time to time." You told him as you continued to hug him and sway back and forth. He wrapped his arms around you and rested his chin on your head. "Thank you." Connor hummed. You squeezed him a little tighter before letting go. "Alright, gotta go back. For safety reasons, back doors to any facility were one way exits, so you'd have to walk around to get back in. But something compelled you to try and open the door, you didn't even have to turn the handle. It opened with no problem.

You looked at the lock mechanism, some one had put tape over the hole that allowed the door to lock. Same tape from the apartment. "This is a blind spot to the camera, isn't it?" Connor asked. You told him it was, in fact, if someone was careful enough, they could avoid the camera completely and get up stairs.

Connor had made his way back to the monitor to look at the tape once again, he wouldn't find anything. You checked for finger prints, but nothing on the tape, just like everything else. You stepped back outside to look at it more and you found a small little fleck of vibrant paint on the door's handle...

"Chloe, you said you were at art club at school, correct?" You asked as you walked over to her and the other remaining suspect. "Yes ma'am." She responded formally. "Did you stop home before you went?" You asked. "No ma'am." This statement received an odd glance from the elderly man next to her, but he didn't say anything. "Do you have something you wish to say?" You turned to him with a curious look. "Oh, I... I don't wish to put Chloe under any suspicion, but, today, just like every day, you said hello to me, when you came home..." He had turned to tell the girl. She went pale and her pupils shrunk with fear.

"I...I..." She stuttered. "So you came home at the normal time, left before the cops arrived, then arrived back making it seem like you had just gotten home..." You started putting the pieces together. "Please, I didn't- I didn't want to, to kill her." She had started crying, you felt pity for the girl. "Her? Your mother? What was your motive Chloe?" You asked, you had no intention of treating her any different now that you knew she had committed the crime, so you still spoke with a soft soothing voice. "I hated him, I hate him... I- I wanted him gone! All he did was make her horrible just like him!" She sobbed, she wasn't hiding anything anymore. "She was kind, caring, and thoughtful. Then he came along and she was so cold, and mean to everyone. I just wanted to get rid of him." Her tears slowed as she kept speaking. "I planned to make it look like a suicide, that's why I used his gun to shoot him in his head... I didn't know mom had come home early from work, I was scared, I knew she'd turn me in... So I shot her... I just wanted my mom..." She whimpered those last few words. "I j-just wanted my mom back! I want my mom! I miss my mom! Mom! I'm sorry! Mommy, I'm sorry!" Her voice broke as she wailed. The sound of her lonely cries hurt you in a way you'd never felt before. You absentmindedly grabbed her and pulled the teen close to your chest as she sobbed and you cradled her. She clung to you tightly with no hesitation. "Ssshhhhh.... Deep breathes." You whispered to her as you stroked her hair. She tried to follow your words, but her breath would just hitch and she'd choke on sobs.

You softly swayed back and forth to sooth her. Some cops sat there awkwardly unsure if they should cuff her at the moment, but you just put up your hand to tell them to wait. Once she had calmed down you pulled her away from you and knelt down to her level. "You know what has to happen now, right?" You asked softly. The girl sniffled and pushed up her glasses as she wiped away tears and shook her head. "Just follow instructions and you'll be okay." You told her and she gave you one last nod before she was cuffed and put in a cop car and drove off. You job was done.p, it was late, you'd been here all day. The elderly man was left in shock and you told him he could return to his room and assured him Chloe would be fine.

You and Connor got inside the car and as soon as the door of the vehicle closed you slumped over and put your face in your hands, Connor felt the same way you did. The whole situation was completely fucked. "God damn...." You croaked. "Yeah..." Connor agreed, there weren't many words shared between you two on the ride home.

You opened the door to a happy dog and a smiling Hank, though his smile dropped when he saw how drained both of you were. "Rough case?" He asked cautiously. You just nodded as you slumped down into a chair next to Hank, and put your head on the table. Connor sat down as well and rested his head on his hand. "Alcohol?" Hank offered a beer to you. "No." Connor said sternly as you reached out for it. "Yes." You responded. "Beer good when life bad." You mumbled. Connor grabbed the bottle out of your hands and put it on the other side of the table where you couldn't reach it. "Hank, don't encourage bad behavior." Connor spoke irritably. "...beer?" Hank asked jokingly as he held out the same bottle to Connor. Connor just looked at him unamused. "Jeez. Really rough day then." Hank mumbled. "Really rough." You agreed with him. "If no alcohol, then... There's, ice cream, and a dog." Hank was trying his best to cheer you both up and you appreciated it. You smiled tiredly and Connor defiantly thought that was better than drowning yourself in bad decisions.

A bowl of ice cream and lots of Sumo pets later everyone was in bed for the night, but you couldn't sleep. The way that poor girl cried for her mother, it wouldn't leave your mind. Those horrible wails echoed through your head and played with your emotions. All you could do was quietly weep for her until you fell asleep.