Chapter 63

Weeks passed by quickly, (y/n) had thrown herself into work completely, whether it was work at the DPD or working on the program at the church.

Cases like the one at Eden club were starting to pop up frequently and a large amount of them were at the club. Eden's reputation had quickly turned sour, and without fail, every victim you saw, you knew.
(Y/n) had turned silent, she kept conversations short, she didn't make jokes and didn't laugh at any either.

----------------------------------------------------------

(Y/n) let out an irritated groan as she ran her hands through her hands. "Programming from scratch is a pain in the ass!" She complained. "How about you take a break?" Michael suggested as he sat next to you. "I have nothing better to do." The (h/c) responded in a monotone voice. "Being pissy isn't going to improve whatever little skills you have." Michael mumbled uninterestedly. You grabbed the hoodie of his jacket and pulled it over his face without looking away from your screen. "Being a smartass isn't going to improve your eyesight." You mocked him half-heartedly as he swatted your hand away. He huffed and got up to attend to other things. You continued to work for a good hour or two. "How are you doing?" Markus checked in on you and glanced over your screen "well, I sure am working on something... Doubt it'll work." Your outlook on this definitely wasn't optimistic. "... You'll eventually find what works." He gave words of encouragement and continued on with what he was doing.

Throughout the day your friends checked in on you as you diligently worked. The sun was setting and you were still sat on your pew beside the wall. Michael noticed how you'd been spacing out for a while, he walked up behind you and rested his chin on your head, his hands buried in his pockets. "Earth to (y/n)~" he said in a sing-song voice. "....hm?" Was all you responded with. "Have you finally broken?" The raven haired male snickered. "Mm... Do you know anything about I.B.M.?" You asked out of no where. Michael quickly retracted from you, you thought it was an odd reaction. "Um, no. What is it?" He asked, you just silently stared at him, scanning his face for an uncomfortable amount time. You stood up with a sigh "I'm going home, it's getting late." You stated, completely dismissing the conversation you started. "Okay, fucking weirdo. I'll walk you home." He offered. "Ah, the helpless damsel needs to get home safely after dark." You mumbled. "No, the dumbass needs to be supervised at all times like a toddler." He scoffed as he followed you out the doors after waving goodbye to the rest of your friends.

The streets lit up with streetlights and car headlights as the moon became clearer and clearer in the sky. The only people left on the sidewalks were the night owls who went to bars and other things they wouldn't get away with during the day.

Most of the walk was awkward silence as you made your way past people that didn't know how to walk on the sidewalk and obnoxiously loud groups. Once you got to the quieter streets you turned to your company and blankly stared at him. "Would you cut that shit out? It freaks me out." Michael snapped at you. "... I've always wanted to know, how did you get that scar?" You asked him, his response was a silent middle finger in front of your face. "Fair enough. Are you sure you don't know anything about I.BM.?" You asked once more. "... I'm sure ass hell." He responded snappily. As if you were completely to social cues you asked another question "What did you do before you became a deviant?" Michael was fed up with you. "Why are you asking me all this shit? Why are you so concerned about I.B.M. And why the hell should I know anything about it?!" He shouted.

You stopped walking and turned on your heels to look at the android. "That's an easy answer. You. Know. Something." As if you were in a horror movie, the street lamp in the empty street behind you flickered as your eyes bore into Michael's, no readable expression. "I don't know shit." Michael spat. "You've had moments where you say peculiar things, act odd, and you're most definitely not an honest person. I'll be honest, there are some things that have been causing me some grief as of late, and I have a gut feeling you know more about them than I do." You gave him a polite smile that made him shiver.

Michael let out a long sigh as he pinched the bridge of your nose. "You know, you used to be so naive before you showed up at the DPD... If only you stayed that way." He let out a tired laugh. You stood silently, pleased that he had confirmed your accusations. "(Y/n), I mean this as sincerely as I possibly can be... Forget about the institution, and forget about the girl. It's for your own good." He said sternly. "I'm sorry, I can't do that. It's been quiet recently but I've caught the attention of someone from the past, there is no going back." You told him, he seemed to understand what you told him more than you did. "Please, I beg you, forget. Please just leave that horrible place behind," he grabbed on to your hands as he pleaded with you "there's nothing left of it so why remember the pain? I wanted to protect you from it, that's why I didn't tell you anything, that's why I acted like I didn't know you, I tried being such a dick to you so you'd hate me but you didn't, I kept trying to keep you at arms length from everything. (Y/n), please just forget." Looking at him now, he wasn't the standoffish jerk he had been all this time, right now he was a worried distraught person, begging.

"There is something left... I saw Ace not too long ago." You informed him. His eyes widened with shock "Ace is alive?" He sounded hopeful. "No... He was shot in the back of the head not even ten minutes after I saw him... Do you know what it's like to watch someone you care about die right in front of you and you can't even mourn for them properly because you can't remember anything about them!?" Your voice got louder as anger swelled inside you. It was the first emotion you had shown in a long time "he didn't even hesitate to sacrifice himself for me and I can't remember shit about him! He should be alive! I don't deserve to be alive right now!" You shouted, tears welling up in your eyes. Michael stopped you by hugging you tightly, putting one of his hands on the back of your head as if cradling a child. You stood there silently with your face buried in his shoulder "I didn't want you to keep dealing with this burden... I'm sorry I couldn't protect you..." He softly apologized for something he thought was his fault and you didn't speak a word.

------------------------------------------------------------

When you reached the house Connor was on his way out "Oh, I was just about to head to the church. Guess I don't...uh, welcome back!" Connor smiled as he reopened the door he had just closed. "Welcome back." You echoed even though it didn't make much sense coming from you. You gave him a hug "I'll see ya later." You waved goodbye to Michael and headed inside. "Hey, can I talk to you?" He asked Connor. "Oh, sure." Connor stepped off the porch and awkwardly stood in front of the shorter male, awaiting whatever he wanted to say.

The two had never really formed any sort of bond or friendship despite being in the same friend group so Connor had no clue why he was standing outside with the guy. "Is there any possible way (y/n) could not go to the Eden club murders that have been popping up?" Michael asked. "Well, no, it's her whole job to deal with these murder scenes and you have to be at them to do that." Connor said, he had no intention of coming off as a smart ass or rude, he just had zero social skills when it came to strangers. "Why?" He questioned. "I just, it's not a good idea for her to learn any more about I.BM., but I guess there's no way if she has no choice." Michael explained as he messed with his jacket strings. "I'll head back now, see ya." Michael ended the conversation and began to walk away. "Wait," Connor called about. "She told you?" Connor was shocked you would tell him, it was one thing with Hank but with friends it's completely different. "No. Before I became a deviant I worked as a teacher and caretaker along side her at I.B.M." Michael explained all too casually and walked off without any further explanation. Connor stood outside trying to understand how he was just now figuring this out.

"Nope, not even going to think about it... That's that, okay." Connor spoke to himself as he entered the house.