Chapter 46

"But wasn't it a suicide?" An older man asked. "That's what it initially looked like, but this is a murder, an elaborate set up." Connor explained. A sob escaped Chloe as she still sat against the wall.

"We'll have to ask all of you questions." You spoke to the people. "So, in other words, we're suspects." A young woman mumbled. "Well, yes." You answered her.

There were four suspects. "May I start with you?" You asked the woman politely. "Yes, of course." She nodded and both of you stepped to the side to speak with her. She was in her twenties, her name, Scarlet, a pretty woman. "Where were you when the murder took place?" You asked. "I just got back from grocery shopping and was about to get inside my apartment when I heard a gun shot, so I ran down a couple floors and called the cops, then there was another." She explained... She had no groceries.

"Okay, and what was your affiliation with the couple?" You moved on. "I was their neighbor, my apartment is to the right of theirs. I wasn't really ever close to them, if anything they were rude, they're actually one of the reasons I've been trying to get out of this place." She laughed awkwardly. "Oh so you've been trying to move?"

"Uh, yeah." She scratched the back of her neck as she spoke. "I bet that'll be a nice change of scenery." You smiled sweetly, speaking about this made you think about one day when you and Connor would have a home of your own.

"Defiantly, the city is fun at first, but nowadays, it's not a place I wanna be." She said as she looked out to the streets through the glass door. You hummed in response "well then, thank you for your time." You thanked her and moved on.

The next person you spoke to was a man in his late thirties. David. "Where were you at the time of the crime?" You asked. "In the apartment complex." He responded. Well look at you mr. Smartass... "I'm going to need more specifics, where exactly, why..." You tried to get more out of him. "I'm here to see someone, but then guns went off." He spoke with attitude. "Who were you here to see?"

"That's not important." He huffed as he stuffed his hands into his jacket pockets. "You do realize, concealing this type of information puts you under great suspicion, plus if you say, and this person can confirm, you have an alibi." You explained to him a little baffled at this guys attitude. "I don't need a fucking alibi, I didn't kill anyone." He snapped. You just let out a soft sigh as you went to the next one. An older man in his sixties, Herald. "I already know the questions." He said sweetly before you could even ask. "I was in my room watching tv when the first gunshot went off, I didn't call cause I was pretty sure someone would already be on it." He explained. "And I live to the left of the family, I never liked that damn couple, no respect, not even a fucking smile, pieces of trash..." He rambled on about his strong feelings towards the victims. "Oh, but Chloe, that sweetheart, she always makes sure to say good morning to me with a smile, and when she comes home from school too, I don't know how on earth she's a product of such rotten people." His tone completely did a 180° when he spoke about the girl. "...thank you for the information." You smiled to him and moved on to the last person you had to speak with.

"Hello, may ask you some questions?" You knelt down in front of the girl who was still sitting down against the wall. She nodded and repositioned herself to sit more properly. "Okay, where were you when the crime happened?" You asked. "I was at an after school club." She stated, she had arrived after you had. You looked down, different colored paints stained her hands. "You like painting?" You asked while point to her hands. She nodded. "How was home life like before this?" You questioned her more. "Normal, I mean, yeah sometimes we argued but it wasn't anything bad." She mumbled. "How did you get along with your parents?"

"Fine, I loved my mom. We were a happy family..." She teared up as she spoke. You nodded and stood up. You looked back at everyone, the women was lying, the old man has extreme hatred for the couple, the other guy doesn't want to talk, and their daughters the only one with an alibi... Oh boy, this'll be fun.

You walked back up to the scene where Connor had gone back to. "Whatcha doing?" You asked as he was looking down at a plastic bag. "We still don't know how the door was locked from the inside." He responded as he looked up at the cut lock and back at the bag. The bag held the latch part of the lock that had to be cut. "They obviously couldn't have gone out any window. That would be a six story fall, and there's no signs of rope or anything that would help escape that way." Connor said as he pointed behind him at the only window.

You hummed and peered over his shoulder at the lock as well. "Can I see it?" You asked. "He handed it to you and you carefully took it out of the bag, you didn't have to worry about contaminating it... You're an android. You looked closely at the u shaped piece of metal, as if it would give you answers.

There was an ever so tiny piece of tape on the end of it, as if it had broken off of a longer piece. You stared at it for a little bit confused before you wanted to try something. "Do we have any scotch tape?" You asked Connor "scotch tape? Why?" He gave you an odd look. "I wanna try something. "There might be some in a drawer but I don't think we should go through-" you had already found tape on a desk. "Now I need a working lock..." You thought aloud as you looked at the broken lock in your hand. "There's an unoccupied apartment on the third floor." Connor pointed out. "Perfect!" You smiled and immediately made your way down to try out your hypothesis. "What're you doing anyway?" Connor asked. "You'll see." You smiled as you leaned on a rail on the stair case. "Just tell me." Connor rolled his eyes with a smile. You just leaned back and rolled backwards of the rail and landed on the floor bellow. "(Y/N)!" Connor scolded you for it, you'd spooked him. You just stuck your tongue out at him and continued walking, looking at each door for an empty apartment. "It's over here..." Connor had walked in the opposite direction and was on the other side of the hall as he pointed to a door.

You jogged over to him and he opened the door for you "thank you." You stepped in, no lights were on but it was plenty bright from the Suns rays that trickled through the blinds on the Windows. Connor followed you in and watched you as you inspected the lock, see exactly how it moved, then you took a long piece of tape from the roll, maybe a foot long. You stuck one end of it to the end of the lock then stepped outside with Connor still inside and pulled the tape until it detached and you had the full piece on your side. You tried opening the door, and sure enough, the latch was locked...

You now knew how the murder did it.

If your board and wanna try it, the latch lock trick actually works!