Letters

Leaving her there was his first grave mistake. Albus Dumbledore left her there on the first of November, simply hours after her parents were slain. He left a newly orphaned infant in the clutches of her mother's sister and her family. He knew that they hated Magic with a passion, yet, still left her there. Lucky for him, Rebekah swiftly learnt control.

The daughter of James and Lily Potter wasn't one to be trifled with, insulted or disrespected. Her cool temper spiked to extremes when angered and her Magic behaved as such, lashing out at a vase of flowers or cracking a glass.

Most days, Rebekah Potter was a happy and cheerful young girl with a large grin and a mischievous glint in her eyes. She was a delight to be with and look after, that was when she wasn't annoyed. But the days that she was, the scent of fear filled the house.

Her cousin and his family knew this, acting far nicer to her than they would have otherwise. As long as she was content and they were agreeable, The Dursley household remained as the rest of the neighbourhood was, free of Magic and nonsense. Of course, not everything was perfect. Disagreements here, and arguments there would disrupt the order of peace that the household held, but things always returned to a neutral agreement. Eventually returned to a neutral agreement.

The Dursley household had been unruly, they didn't want to alert the neighbours about anything strange, so they compromised with her as she did with them. It had been a quiet few years, almost four years of peace.

And being woken by the banging of her loft door was not a pleasant thing in the morning.

It was Dudley's birthday and that meant the kitchen was filled with presents, soft drinks and food. As it was his birthday, he impatiently swatted the door of the loft, a broom in his chubby hands. The door was on the ceiling and he was too short to hit it. The loud swats woke her up from the dreamless sleep she somehow conjured up.

"Rebekah! Rebekah, wake up! Come on, it's time for breakfast!" Dudley shouted through the door, he didn't dare open it without permission. "Come one, cousin! It's my birthday! Come on!" He shouted again and swatted at the door. "You promised you'd be helping me unwrap my presents this year!"

She just laid in bed, staring out the window above her bed.

Almost eleven years since she was brought and left here, without a word and without a care. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had always lied about James and Lily Potter's deaths, always brushing off facts and question Rebekah asked. She didn't indulge in meaningless questions when she knew that she wouldn't get the answers. Pointless.

Her floor vibrated from the banging, her bed vibrating and waking her up. She sighed, shrugging her covers off and slipped on a pair of slippers.

"Mum's making pancakes!" The little door opened and a burgundy haired girl kneeled, narrowing her forest green eyes at her cousin. A cream oversized top hung on her small frame and covered her navy shorts. The sleeves bunched up at her wrists.

"Chocolate pancakes?" He nodded and a smile appeared on his chubby face. She sighed happily, her own smile crept onto her face. "Tell Aunt and Uncle I'll be down soon enough. After breakfast, I'll help with your presents and then we can go to the zoo. Is Piers coming along too?"

"Yeah, his mum will be bringing him soon," Dudley said, waving her to hurry and dress. "He'll be here in an hour, I think?"