Chapter 5

Richard: "Ok, people. Let's begin. Patient 34986 died from complications following a heart transplant. Dr. Burke will present." he says as the group of doctors gathering in a meeting hall to begin the M&M

Burke: "Cause of death at autopsy was an embolus that dislodged from the suture line of the transplant and caused a CVA with brainstem herniation."

Man: "Dr. Burke."

Woman: "Dr. Burke. So the company line is that he died of a CVA?"

Burke: "There's no company line. That's what he died of." he says calling on another person

Man: "Yes, let's get back to this patient's need for an emergent transplant. You're saying that his left ventricle had been weakened by the LVAD malfunction?"

Burke: "His left ventricle was weakened by congestive heart failure."

Savoy: "Come on, Dr. Burke. We all know the LVAD was cut by an intern."

Burke: "The exact chain of events remains unclear."

Savoy: "It remains unclear to you because you were in the ER with a gunshot wound. Why aren't we hearing from Dr. Bailey? She was the physician on the case."

Burke: "I am the attending on record."

Bailey: "Yes, I was the resident in charge" she says standing up and moving over to the podium "Uh Dr. Burke has summarized the medical facts of this case. Are there any questions for me?"

Savoy: "You recently had a baby, Dr. Bailey?"

Bailey: "I don't see what that has to do with this."

Savoy: "Sleep deprivation with swings in hormone levels could cloud anyone's judgment."

Bailey: "I sleep just fine, Dr. Savoy."

Savoy: "Really? Because if a patient died due to my poor decision-making, I'd lose at least a little sleep over it." he says making everyone shocked at his comment

Richard: "Let me remind everyone that our purpose here is not to place blame. This is a forum to discuss mistakes in patient care and learn from them."

Savoy: "So far I haven't heard Dr. Bailey admit to a mistake. So for a period of several hours, your interns were running amok in the hospital, totally unsupervised."

Bailey: "I'm waiting for a question."

Savoy: "The question is: Where were you?"

Bailey: "There was the shooting and the ER was chaotic."

Savoy: "The ER's always chaotic. Did you page them during this time?"

Bailey: "Yes. I paged them multiple times."

Savoy: "Well, apparently, they thought it was ok to ignore your pages. Doctor, why do you think your interns have such contempt for your authority?"

Alex: "You don't know what you're talking about!" he yells out while standing up gaining everybody's attention

Bailey: "Dr. Karev, sit down" she says shaking her head at him "Next question." she says as hands shoot up in the air

Sonja: "Adam! It hurts whenever you move." she says in pain as Addison and Meredith come into the room where Sky is in

Adam: "Keep your weight off my bad knee."

Sonja: "Sorry. I thought it was on the left side."

Adam: "Nineteen years of marriage you'd think you'd have that one down."