Chapter 7

Richard: "Our schedule for several months now. Hospitals across the country have reported substantial savings..."

Derek: "How bad is it today?" he comes to stand next to where Sky is leaning against a nurses desk

Sky: "The chief's implementing a computer model for scheduling our surgeries from now on. Something about efficiency and progress."

Richard: "And to make sure this was the right decision, I have enlisted one of our own to do a trial run for the last month. Dr. Sloan." he moves over a little and Derek raises his eyebrows at the pair as he slowly moves closer to the board 

Mark: "I know what you're all thinking. It's a machine. It doesn't know me. It doesn't know what I like. But after using this new system for the past month, I gotta say, people, I'm a convert. This computer knows me better than I know me."

Derek: "Chief, this thing has rearranged my schedule for the entire week. I mean, haven't we had enough change here already?" 

Richard: "Change is good, everyone. Embrace it." he walks away as the crowd disperses 

Bailey: "You two need to stop bickering. It's unattractive."

Isaac: "Dr. Shepherd."

Derek: "Isaac, if you don't stop calling me Dr. Shepherd, I'm seriously gonna have to cut you off." he jokes 

Isaac: "Right. Forgot. Derek."

Derek: "Thanks."

Isaac: "I have your scans, Derek."

Derek: "I didn't order any scans."

Isaac: "I think they're for a consult, but I can come back if you're busy."

Derek: "No, it's okay" Isaac puts a scan up for Derek to look at "Oh. It's a tumor on the spinal cord, possibly a hemangioblastoma."

Isaac: "You've seen one before?"

Derek: "Not this big. You see how the tumor has worked its way up the spine? It's taken over the blood supply."

Isaac: "Hmm."

Derek: "It's a perfect tumor. You know if the patient still has leg function?"

Isaac: "Yes."

Derek: "Incredible. He shouldn't be walking. He should be paralyzed, dead."

Isaac: "You'd have to operate quickly, then, to take the tumor out?"

Derek: "Oh, I'd love to operate on this. But, no. No, you have to cut the cord, paralyze the patient, to kill the tumor. Who's the doctor on this one?"

Isaac: "You."

Derek: "I'm sorry?" he chuckles a little

Isaac: "These are my scans. The tumor is mine. I'd like you to take it out. I'd like you to try. One doctor said it was bad circulation, another one, pinched nerve. But when the pain started to interfere with work, I decided to run an MRI on myself."

Derek: "Isaac, had I known this was your scan, I wouldn't have-"

Isaac: "I have been to every doctor, Derek. Every time, it's the same thing. They look at the tumor and they're defeated. But not you. You were inspired. That's why I know I was right to come and work here. I needed to meet you."

Derek: "You got a job here to meet me?"

Isaac: "I have researched every neurosurgeon in this country. I know their statistics, I know who wins the most prizes, but I also know who takes the most risks. That's you."