Chapter 10

Bailey: "Jake and Peter Weitzman, 35-year old pygopagus conjoined twins attached at the lumbosacral junction."

Jake: "But not for long. Right, Dr. Webber?"

Richard: "The Weitzmans came about 6 months ago for a separation procedure. They opted out because of the risks."

Jake: "Pete chickened out."

Pete: "Forgive me for wanting to live longer even if it meant living with you."

Jake: "Well, you wasted 6 months of our lives. Thank you."

Pete: "Stop it."

Alex: "You guys came at the right time. We scored New York's top plastic surgeon."

Richard: "Mark Sloan. You remember Dr. Shepherd, your neurosurgeon and Dr. Rivers." he says as the three doctors shake the brothers hands

Mark: "We used to work as a team."

Derek: "We worked together. We were never actually a team."

George: "Mr. Weitzman?"

Both: "Call me Jake. Call me Pete."

George: "Jake, Pete. Why...do you mind me asking why now, when you thought the procedure was risky six months ago?"

Jake: "Well."

Woman: "Guys?" she says coming into the room and seeing everybody turn to face her "Whoa. That's a lot of doctors. I'll just come back later."

Jake: "No, no. Elena, come in, come in. You wanted to know "why now"? This is why. The love of my life. Elena."

Elena: "Jake, don't. I told him not to do this. Not for me anyway because that's just crazy. Because Pete said that they could end up paralyzed. He could end up dead."

Jake: "Why do you tell her things like that for?"

Pete: "I wasn't telling her, I was telling you. She just happens to be the only one who listens."

Derek: "She happens to be right."

Jake: "Do you know what it's like to have to be stuck to the same person? Every-"

Pete : "Here we go."

Jake: "That's right. What it's like to have to be with the same person every minute of every day? To not have anything that's just yours? Not be able to do anything on your own? Nobody should have to live like that."

Sky: "What do you think, Pete?"

Pete: "Why would I want to be attached to someone who doesn't want to be with me?"

Sky: "Conjoined twins, Derek." she says as they sit in a room and look through the twins scans

Derek: "I know."

Sky: "Conjoined adult twins. I mean, it's rare enough to separate conjoined infants, but conjoined adults? Why are you not more excited about this? Do you know how crazy this procedure is?"

Derek: "Yeah I do. Which is why I don't think we should do it. Their spines are fused from the L4 down. Their blood flow is intricately connected. They could end up paralyzed or even dead."

Sky: "The patients want this operation, Derek. Why are you backing out? This isn't like you. Unless there's incontrovertible evidence that it can't be done, we're moving forward."

Izzie: "Twenty-two surgeons. It takes 22 surgeons to do this." she says as they practice on a dummy patient