By the flame of the fire

4 months.

That's how long it had been since they felt like they had seen daylight and freedom.

Just last year they had found a spot in the woods, an old lake. No-one knew about it since it was also partly under an old bridge which must have connected to a very old road years ago.

By the time they pulled up and onto the stone bridge, they hopped down from the side carefully. Removing their clothes, stripping down into their swimming gear, they jumped in. Laughter escaped both of them as they swum around in the deep lake.

It was around sun set when they got out and dried off.

Peter set up a small camp-like fire before sitting back down a quarter of the way round the fire, MJ sitting at another quarter.

They sat each on a large blanket that covered the wood chips so they could sit or lye comfortably.

"What's up?" Peter asked seeing she was way too deep in thought

"Hum?" she hummed coming out of her own thoughts

"What's going on in the head of yours?" he asked sincerely

MJ gave a sigh before looking at him and then back at the fire, "I don't know anymore. I have enough to worry about with S.H.I.E.L.D and work and everything, i feel like i haven't looked up since March and to top it all off i've had my mother down my throat since December asking if i have a husband yet"

"What's so bad about that? Your mother, i mean"

"Peter, you don't know her like i do, i've had 48 calls from her this week alone, all of them asking if i have a boyfriend or husband"

MJ ran her hands over her eyes and face before looking back up

Peter stood up and sat next to her on her right, bringing his arm around her into a side hug

"Well, not every family is going to be sane but, you've got me" he smiled gaining a small smile from her, "and you never know, your husband could be just around the corner waiting for you"

"We're partners, in work, in life, in everything, all of it" Peter smiled, MJ smiled sweetly at him.

That was when it all happened. The pair inching closer and closer together, their noses brushed in uncertainty, a smile couldn't help but slowly appear on each of their faces before moving in closer to lock lips.

They moved away for a split second before moving back in, the longing for it to happen again taking too long.

The pair gave a small shuffle getting more comfortable, Peter placing his hand on her neck pulling her closer

It happened by the flame of the fire that night, pulling one another closer and closer. Whether it be the camp fire or starry night sky, or the closeness they both shared, but it happened and nothing was stopping them.