Prologue

Word Count: 1812

"Imagine if you were quirkless."

I have. It's... interesting to say the least.

"What kind of quirks did your parents have?"

They were normal. My dad had the ability to take away anybody's physical abilities, like walking or punching. My mum is able to hear a sound and know the exact pitch of it. It's just me that's different.

"How did you get your quirk? Did you inherit it?"

I don't know. My parents didn't get this quirk, obviously. But someone in my family gave it to me. That's why they call me 'special' and treat me a little differently. My aunt seemed very fascinated with my quirk though.

"What are you going to do with your life?"

What?

"Ms L/N, I would like to bring to attention your current grades." I look up to my teacher, a bit surprised. Ms Shimizu was probably the nicest out of all the teachers that knew me. She fixed her glasses and stated, "You have incredible academic statistics. You've been getting over 97% for all your major and minor classes."

I stand awkwardly in front of her desk as she flipped through her files with my name on it. Ms Shimizu sends me a warm smile. "I have overlooked your results from the past three years you've had with us here. Quite impressive, must I say." She chuckles a bit before picking up a slip of paper from the side of her desk. Her laughter stops.

"Now, L/N..." She starts, voice getting serious, "I asked all the students in my homeroom to hand in the form I gave to them on Monday, and I understand that it is due today." She faces the paper to herself so I couldn't see the contents.

LIt is nearing the end of the semester and most high school's are accepting applications in the next month. However, I wanted to ask you something." I furrow my brows a bit, playing with my school bag.

"Do you want another week to think about your choice?"

The thought makes me heart pound. I bite the inside of my cheek before looking at my shoes. "Is there... something wrong with my choice?" I mumble to her. Ms Shimizu gives me a sympathetic look. Using her talent, she stands up and allows the paper to follow her movements as she walked about in the room.

She speaks, "I do know of what the staff and students say. I've heard many things." She comes towards me, a few feet away with the paper now in her hands, "I've read your form, three times to make sure I read correctly. You put down UA as your top preference. And your reasoning was because 'being a hero is all that matters to me'." I gulp.

Ms Shimizu shakes her head and pushes her hair behind her ears, "When the other staff and principal read your preferences, they asked me to talk to you about it." I clench my fists until I feel my nails digging into my palm.

"I'm going to be frank here and say that I want you to pick another school. Your next two are also schools that are known for their hero course. With your great academic scores, you could go to all these other great high schools that would be sure to give you a great education. But you choose the hero course."

I feel a bit offended by the way she said it. Like I was being delusional. Maybe I am.

I retort, "Ms Shimizu, I don't mean to sound ungrateful for what you're saying, but I know what I want. I'm going to UA and getting into that hero course. And I'd be very appreciative if you would stand by my decision." I sent her a glance that said I was being serious. I am. Most definitely. Why is this such a dream?