four

The quiet ambiance of the forest nearby made Madelline's walking a lot more comfortable, she inhaled the smell of petrichor that lingers, loving the all too familiar scent. Ever since she was a child, she loved the earthly smell and the beautiful appearance of nature after it rains.

She walked down the path, her hands stuffed inside her pocket. Her eyes would wander around to appreciate the surrounding things. For some, walking alone in the woods would be terrifying; the towering trees, leaves rustling, and the silence, but for Madelline, it only gave her a sense of comfort and safety.

Her eyes landed on a lake nearby. A smile made its way to Madelline's face before nearing it. She sat down near the lake and pulled off her boots just for her to soak her feet in the cold water. The wind blew past her, sending her curls away from her face. The cold breeze tiptoes against her skin, a sigh of contentment escaping her lips. The nature sounds and the comfortable ambiance lulled her and made her want to sleep right then and there.

Ever since then, she loved the feeling of wind blowing past against her. It was like a comfort—a hug even; meanwhile, nature brings serenity to her mind. Back home, she would often overthink and her mind would always go messy. When things get overwhelming, she tends to walk in their garden or take a walk by herself. She has always liked the idea of hanging out by a meadow, doing nothing other than relaxing. It has always been a dream of hers.

What scares her the most is fire. She doesn't like getting angry, heck she's afraid of acting out because of it. She couldn't control her actions nor her words; hence, why Elijah try to calm her down and she tries to keep herself quiet. If she would compare the experience to something, it would be like the feeling of fire igniting inside her body.

Her father was right in every way. She does have the tendency to get violent when she's angry. She couldn't see anything but red. She tries to be on her best behavior, yet some people test their limits. She was like a wolf—a transitioning one, at least.

Unbeknownst to her, Rosalie, Alice, and Esme were hunting around the area when they caught a sweet scent—one that is familiar to Alice which caused her eyes to widen in realization.

"I think that's Madelline," she informed the two.

They followed the trail of scent and ended up in a lake. Their eyebrows furrowed in confusion after seeing nothing, but when they looked thoroughly, they saw a silhouette of a small girl sitting on the ground.

"Is that her?" Esme whispered to Alice. She only nodded as a response as she smiled at the sight of Madelline. When they walked further, they had a clear view of the human girl. The lake reflected some sort of light towards Madelline, defining her facial features.