chapter fifty-four

madelline, rosalie and alice stumbled while nearing the clearing, pushing each other playfully in the process. they stood beside esme who gave madelline a light squeeze by her shoulder which madelline silently thanked her for. they watched jasper and emmett as they sparred as emmett continues to get thrown back by jasper.

"you know what, my body's not physically ready for this" she said before walking away from the group and stopped just a couple meters away before stretching her limbs, making some of her bones crack while alice winced at the sound she was making.

alice walked over to her and helped her as their eyes would usually glance back at the two, at their surprise jasper had managed to throw emmett again making him fall harshly at his back before he stood up with a determined look on his face.

"again"

madelline placed her hair up into a ponytail as alice walked away, a silver volvo came into the clearing revealing bella and edward she sighed at the sight of the two before walking back to the group. alice walked over to bella while edward found his way towards carlisle as he walked forward.

suddenly, a twig snapped making them look up at the source of sound.

"they're here" edward informed them.

jasper and emmett stopped their sparring, making their way back to the group. jasper stood beside madelline and placed his hand just by her back, sending waves of calmness through her. she didn't know she needed it until jasper gave her one, she looked at him with a smile on her lips before looking away.

"will you translate?" carlisle asked to edward as he walked forward to meet sam halfway.

edward nodded briefly before looking at sam, "they don't trust us enough in their human forms"

"they came, that's what matters" he said before looking back at sam and the rest of them, "welcome"

jace walked up to jasper and madelline and stood beside madelline while jasper stood by the other side. the shadow hunter only looked forward, listening intently at carlisle.

"jasper has experience and knowledge about the newborns, he'll teach us how to defeat them" carlisle told them.

"they want to know how the newborns differ from us" edward translated to carlisle.

"they're a great deal from us because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. our kind is never been more powerful than in our first several months of this life" carlisle explained.

madelline gently tapped jasper's back as carlisle looked over at them, sending a nod towards his way. madelline gave a comforting squeeze at his hand, knowing he was uncomfortable with all the attention he's gaining.

he stepped forward and replaced carlisle's position, "carlisle's right. that's why newborns are created for armies"

as he continued to walk at the center, madelline noticed his soldier side coming out. he's more commanding and strict as he looked at them, his stance looked perfect for a soldier with his hands behind his back.

"the two most important things to remember are, first, never let their arms get around you. they'll crush you easily and fast within a second. second, never go for the obvious kill. they'll see it even in miles away, they'll be ready for that"

"emmett?" jasper called out to his brother, nodding at him giving him a signal, "don't hold back" he smirked.

"not in my nature"

emmett charges forward with incredible speed, but jasper was a complete blur to them. emmett threw his arms around him, failing to do as he only grabbed air as jasper stopped, enough to say,