twenty-five

'✦ ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹

You know that feeling when you've been doing so well and you thought you'd become used to it that, not once, did it worry you that you would be coming back to where you started?

Madelline had those. She had been smiling the entire time, even managing to let a chuckle escape her lips, and even accomplishing her tasks on time with exemplary outcomes yet she would find herself on some days, spiraling.

Moments like those make her want to turn back the time when she was human and she could sleep everything off. Sad? Sleep. Angry? Sleep. Disappointed? Sleep it off.

The inability to sleep further infuriates every bit of herself as she would resort to crying as she felt her insides, screaming and begging for the pain to fade away. The need to claw her throat as silent sobs escape her throat intensifies each time.

As if connected to her, Elijah would barge inside her room, cradling her against his arms as he whispered comforts in her ear. His hand would caress her head ever so gently as Madelline gripped his shirt tightly, giving in to her father's warmth.

Just like right now, Elijah had left her room to grab her some water she stared into the unknown, suddenly finding the four corners of her room, suffocating. She cleared her throat as she wiped the tears that had now dried against her cheeks. She grabbed her shawl that hung against the back of her chair and some slippers before exiting her room.

"Oh," Elijah let out upon almost bumping into her. His eyes scanned her figure and only then noticed that she seemed to be going out. "Where are you going at this hour?" he asked, watching how she seemed to pull the shawl tighter to her and took the glass of water from him.

"I'll just go down at La Push, is it okay?"

Conflict arose behind his eyes as they switched back and forth between her eyes that seemed too tired, dark circles evident under them. He wanted to say no since it was late already but he knew that she needed this.

A reluctant nod was all it took before Madelline leaned up and softly pecked his cheek, mumbling a soft, 'thanks,' and exited the house with her car keys.