twenty-six

"Wow, the skies are clear today," she breathed out as she propped her knee on her window sill and peered out the window.

Don't get her wrong, she loved Forks' weather but she always liked how sunny it gets. Additionally, sometimes, her productivity is based on the weather. When it gets cold, she gets lazy because the only thing she would want to do by then was to cover herself with her blanket and binge-watch movies. If it's sunny then she's likely to do something else as she would not want to waste the day.

She took a shower and grabbed loose jeans, pairing them with a baby tee that showed all her markings that run from her shoulder blades down to her upper arm. Her eyes scanned the black ink with such foreign in her eyes as she looked at her reflection in her mirror.

"Hi, Dad!"

Elijah looked up from his place and saw how peppy his daughter's footsteps were. His eyes unconsciously scanned her markings that were extremely visible due to her sleeveless crop top. He watched how a small smile was etched on her lips as she made the both of them a coffee.

"You're in high spirits today, baby," he noted as she neared him, extending her arm out to give him his mug of coffee. She only shrugged as she answered while preparing a plate for herself.

Elijah's eyes lingered on the markings, fully aware how his daughter may have been confused as to how it appeared out of nowhere. He placed his papers down and removed his glasses, facing his daughter who looked at him in curiosity.

He cleared his throat before opening his mouth. "I have something to tell you."

Madelline only hummed, too busy eating, failing to notice the seriousness written all over her father's face.

"It's about that marking on your arm. It's called a rune," he told her and watched how she seemed to halt her movements, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion at the sound of the foreign word.

"Rune?" she repeated and looked up at her father who now has his elbows propped up on the table, his cheek resting on the palms of his hands.

The eldest Smith nodded. "Ever since I have lived, the rune is known as our ability to fight off demon invasion which was pretty ironic if you ask me," he chuckled. "Yet, these runes were given to us not because we are above among the others, but because we are prohibited to use it other than good reasons."

Madelline's mouth formed a small 'o' in understanding as she nodded, her breakfast in front of her completely forgotten. "So we have a free pass to weapons against demons?" she asked in curiosity.

"Hmm, pretty much. Yes."

"I'm not like you though. I don't have any rank or such like you. I'm simply a hybrid, nothing else. So, why am I granted these?"

"Because you're a special one, Mads."

The girl only groaned as she let go of her fork, causing it to hit the sides of her plate harshly while her head was thrown back in annoyance. "Don't give me that vague reasoning, Dad. You know how I hate not being clear."