thirty-two

━━━━━━━━

Madelline closes her eyes in bliss as she gently stirs her coffee. It was an early morning today at the Young's household. The sun was gently shining through the linen curtains as birds softly chirps in the background—a peaceful morning is what it was for Madelline.

Once she was satisfied with her coffee, she stacks the two plates on top of one another as she holds her cup of coffee in her vacant hand.

A surprised gasp escapes her throat upon seeing Emily's disoriented state. The woman had literal bird's nest on her hair, wrinkled clothes, and marks on her face and body that implies that the girl had a good night sleep.

She stifles a smile before nearing her to place the plates in front of her. She straightens her back, shifting her eyes between her cup and Emily's half-closed eyes before deciding on offering it.

"Coffee?"

Emily peeks an eye open and closes it almost immediately, a dazed smile painting her lips. "Thanks, Maddy," she mumbles as she takes the cup from her hand.

Madelline only smiled and left a peck on her temple before taking all the food on the counter to place it on the table. "You can eat already, I'll just make another coffee," she says.

As she turns her back against her to make her coffee, the soft clattering of utensils fills her ear. No one dared to speak in fear of disrupting the comfortable silence. Days like this were hard to come by particularly when the boys change schedules around the same time.

"Here," Emily quietly says as soon as she sits down. She holds out a plate filled with a steaming, hot rice, and a bacon.

"Thanks, Em."

Just like that, it was just two women sitting in silence at the center of the room. Silently indulging their food and gathering enough energy to go by the day.

Madelline just knows that the day will be great.

"Maddy!"

Two pairs of eyes met each other before rolling itself in annoyance. They simultaneously faced the entrance where a panting Paul Lahote stands. Madelline looks at him blankly, raising a questioning eyebrow as she took a spoonful of her food.

Upon noticing how quiet it was, Paul awkwardly purses his lips and looks at them apologetically. "Sorry but I, kind of, need Maddy," he says.

"What for?"

"Bella's in the woods and there's a leech near where she was and we don't know him, it's best to assume that he might have gotten to her already," Paul informs her. He watched how Madelline sighs and takes a mouthful of bacon and another with rice before standing up from her seat.