fifteen

Madelline and Jasper got inside and went straight towards her room to grab her necessities and extra clothes. The Smith household was filled with silence. All but their shuffling is heard. Elijah was still on his night shift and she assumed that he would come back by tomorrow morning already.

She grabbed a duffle bag and placed everything inside before she pulled some comfortable clothes out to change into. She changed inside her room, since Jasper waited for her just right outside. She adjusted her navy blue hoodie and tightened her gray sweatpants in case she would have to do a lot of running before she picked up her duffle bag and exited her room.

Upon seeing her exit her room, he leaned away from the wall and took her duffle bag away from her and held it with his right hand while his left hand intertwined with hers. "You ready?" He asked her softly as they descend with him looking at him worriedly. Madelline squeezed his hand as a reassurance and smiled softly at him.

They got inside his car and drove out of their driveway, heading straight to the Cullens' residence. A classic music played in the background with Jasper's hands on both the steering wheel and the transmission while Madelline has her eyes looking outside the window with both of her hands on her lap. Unknowingly, his left hand found hers and slowly intertwined it with hers as both of their attention were elsewhere.

Along the journey, Madelline heard a loud thump that startled Madelline, causing her to sit upright and held his hand tightly in fear. Jasper squeezed her hand as a reassurance before he shake his head to ease her worries.

"Don't worry. It's just Rosalie."

Madelline felt herself breathe out in relief and slumped back to the car seat. They soon reach Jasper's home and parked the car right away in their garage. They got out of the car and went straight inside, stopping abruptly upon meeting Laurent with Carlisle close behind. Jasper quickly became alert and pulled Madelline behind him, glaring down at Laurent with a warning.

"Hold on, calm down," Carlisle tried to say as soon as he saw his son one second away from pouncing on Laurent. "He came to warn us about James."

Laurent stepped back with his hands up in the air as he nodded, confirming what Carlisle just said. "This isn't my fight, and I have grown tired of his games," he explained. "However, he's got paralleled senses which is an absolute lethal. I have never seen anything like him in my 300 years."

Jasper and Madelline looked at him with wary, hesitant about believing his words, knowing how he was affiliated with James.

"And the girl, Victoria? I must warn you to not underestimate her," he finished, before walking away.

Right before he could near the door, he stopped right beside Madelline. "I saw what happened with you back in the field, child. Do they know what you are?" He asked in a hushed tone, his eyes flickering back and forth between her eyes.

Madelline furrowed her eyebrows as she tilted her head in confusion. "I don't know what you're talking about," she replied. Confusion written all over her face, confirming to Laurent that the girl in front of him does not know what her true nature was.