thirty-seven

The familiar tangent path.

The fascinating exterior allowed passersby to see little exposure to what is inside the house.

A nostalgic smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she pulled up by the familiar driveway. She killed the ignition and got out, eyes scanning the area as bittersweet memories of her last visit came rushing back in. Her eyes met Bella's, confusion embracing every inch of her mind as to why Bella wanted to become just like her boyfriend badly; however, the hybrid was well aware that is all she can do since it is still Bella's choice at the end of the day.

She opened the door for Bella, allowing her to enter first and followed closely behind her, and silently closed the door. The clicking of Madelline's heels and Bella's steady breathing were what filled the silence of the household as they ascended toward where the family is. Madelline ran her fingers through her hair just in time when they entered where they were, all faces held such expectancy in them.

"Hey?"

Before Madelline could mentally cringe at herself, Emmett rushed toward her like a bulldozer and pulled her into a tight hug, catching her by surprise. He was not content and even picked her up to twirl her around as if she weight nothing. It was evident how Emmett longed to experience his usual banters with his sister-like and he was relieved upon knowing they get to see her again.

"Hello to you too, my monkey brother," she playfully said the moment her feet touched the floor again. Emmett was too happy to see her that he ignored her endearment to him, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

He eventually pulled away when Rosalie pinched his side, murmuring about letting go of the hybrid so they can hug her next. The two girls sported wide grins on their faces already as soon as they faced her, pulling her into a tight hug. Esme and Carlisle followed closely, closing their eyes in relief and delight upon seeing her.

"We missed you," Esme said as soon as she pulled away from Madelline. She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear as she scanned the young girl in front of her. It was only then she noticed how much she have changed and she could only hope that Madelline did not change too much.

Carlisle saw it as well. How she carried herself. How every stride was filled with such confidence and an aura that speaks nothing but power.

"I missed the two of you as well," she softly replied, kissing Esme's forehead.

"I hope you did not get into too much trouble, young lady," Carlisle playfully pointed his index finger at her to which Madelline laughed as a reply and shrugged her shoulders, feigning innocence.

"I can't promise you anything, Papa C."

The short but sweet moment of reunion was interrupted when they remembered the reason behind their gathering. Jasper neared Madelline, and a soft smile tugged at the corners of his lips as soon as their eyes met. She greeted him halfway, allowing him to snake his arm around his waist, and felt his breath tickle her ear as he whispered his longing for the woman.

"You all know what I want," Bella started, looking down at her fiddling hands. "And I know how much I am asking for."