twenty-one

'✦ ˑ ִֶ 𓂃⊹

The sun gradually met the horizon as Jasper and Madelline sat on the bench peacefully, their legs swinging back and forth behind them. Madelline removed her head that was previously laying on his shoulder and looked at the blonde seated beside her. She couldn't help but let a sigh escape her lips as her eyes studied each and every corner of his face.

She watched how his skin ever so slightly glisten against the sun. His lips looked 24/7 red which she sometimes gets envious of. She watched how Jasper shifted his gaze from in front of him to meeting her eyes.

He haven't left yet but she could already feel the longing building inside her, fully aware that it would be a long time before she sees him again. However, she shook her head and stood up, dusting her pants before extending a hand out towards her boyfriend whose eyes trailed from her extended hand up to her eyes with confusion written all over his eyes.

"Shall we?"

A small smile tugged the corners of his lips before he nodded, taking her hands against his. They jumped off the tree at the same time and made their way back to the house. Jasper found himself snaking his arm around her waist as silence engulfed the both of them. The sound of crunching leaves beneath their shoes and the chirps of birds was the only thing that seemed to disrupt the silence every now and then.

The moment Madelline turned the knob, an empty house is what greeted her, causing the sinking feeling inside her intensifies. No furniture, no sounds—it's as if no one lived in that house.

Remained ignorant for her own sake, she faked a smile and glanced at Jasper before walking upstairs while still hand-in-hand with him.

"I'll handle everything. Just sit by the bed," she softly told him before letting go of his hand to pull out his suitcase from his closet.

She began removing all clothes from the hangers and drawers, neatly folding them with quick hands—too quick as if she was eager to distract herself with what she was doing which did not escape Jasper's eyes.