ten

After Jasper and she ate dinner, he gave her time to clean up and rest herself. Since she hasn't read the books Elijah got for her, might as well read it now while she's free. Speaking of Elijah, Jasper told him about what happened and was absolutely furious, taking it upon himself to make sure the boys were caught. This time, he took his time to thank Jasper for taking care of his daughter while he wasn't there.

Madelline sat on her swivel chair, her left leg tucked underneath her right leg. A breath of relief escaped her lips at the comfortable position and pulled out the books from the paper bag. Her hands skimmed the books as she studied the front and back cover before fully opening it. The immediate scent of the book engulfed her senses, causing her to close her eyes in bliss as she has always adored the scent of books since she was a child.

Silence filled her room the moment she started to read. The book was all about legends and one was able to catch her attention. The Quileute legends. According to the book, they were descendants of werewolves. It was like a fever that sets when their enemies are nearby. They shift to werewolves in order to protect the humans from any danger.

Upon flipping a page, an image stopped her from turning the page. It shows a terrifying enormous monster that is eating people. Her eyebrows furrowed in curiosity and squinted her eyes as she reads the description.

'A mask depicting the cold one,' it says.

"Cold one," she mumbles to herself at the foreign term.

In order to feed her curiosity, she closed her book and turned towards her laptop to open it. She opened a browser and typed 'cold one' in the search bar. She was beyond surprised when she saw numerous results under it. After continuously scrolling, she decided to click the one that says, 'The Cold One: Apotamkin.'

Her fingers tapped against her table as she waited for the page to load. Her eyes, however, widened when upon loading it revealed a disturbing image. Nevertheless, her interest was piqued as she begun to read their descriptions. Her eyebrow raised as she read the characteristics a cold one was supposed to have and some words stood out the most to her as it matched someone that was very familiar to her.

Deciding to disregard it for now, she closed her laptop and glanced at the clock right beside her. She still has to go to school although it's a half day thing. She grabbed her bag and swung it over her shoulders and exited her room, heading straight towards their driveway and to her car.

Sitting inside the library with Jasper has become a natural thing for them to do. Instead of sitting inside the cafeteria where they find it too loud and chaotic for them, they instead settle inside the library where it's the most peaceful for them.

Jasper glanced at Madelline who was busy with her book, her eyes fixed on what she was reading. He continued to steal glances from her, a soft smile gradually forming on his lips. He returned to his book with a dazed look, finding everything just right for him. He adored moments like this where they can be silent and not be awkward. He finds it therapeutic, especially when they read and discuss the books afterwards to themselves.