sixteen

It was nearing dawn already when they hit the main road. Madelline was leaving calls for her father to clear up his confusion and ease his worries, especially once he knows she's not home.

"Hey dad, call me back as soon as you can, okay? I'm fine just in case you're worrying," Madelline said before dropping the voicemail. She looked out the window, still grasping her phone tightly.

She slumped against her seat, still looked out the window while a calming music played in the background, blending in with Bella, who was currently seating at the back and dialing her mother.

Back in Forks, Elijah loosened his tie as he walked up to their door, eyes drooping in drowsiness. He stopped abruptly upon sensing something, veins began crawling out underneath his eyes as it gradually turns black.

A strong scent of an unknown vampire lingered in the air as soon as he entered. A low growl escaped his throat and followed the trail of scent, leading him towards Madelline's room. His eyes widened before he immediately swung her door open, only to be met by no one.

Panic arose inside him when he noticed she was gone. He quickly pulled out his phone from his back pocket and dialed Madelline, but before he could, he noticed she left him a voicemail.

"Hey dad, call me back as soon as you can, okay? I'm fine, just in case you're worrying."

A sigh of relief escape his lips as he run his fingers through his now messy raven-colored hair. He's glad that whoever the vampire was didn't get to Madelline, yet he still wonders where she was because he could hear the car engine in the background. He hoped, though, that she was with Jasper, because he fully trusts the boy to keep her safe.

Jasper and Esme run through the woods, going opposite from Edward's with James and Victoria hot on their heels, growling as they follow the scent. James, all of a sudden, stopped from running as his face lit up with recognition, followed by a sinister smile before turning back to where they came from.

Meanwhile, Alice, Bella, and Madelline already arrived at a hotel and booked themselves in. Upon entering their assigned room, Alice and Madelline sat down on a cream-colored sofa while Bella walked towards a room where she could place her bag.

A gasp escaped Alice's lips at the sudden vision of James' plans. Madelline immediately noticed this, turning towards her right away. "What is it, Alice? What did you see?" She asked, placing a hand on her arm.

"The tracker, he just changed course," she breathed out.

Despite a bit far from them, Bella could still hear what was happening and she couldn't help herself to walk towards them when she heard that the tracker changed course. Madelline pulled out a paper and a pencil to which Alice immediately took and started to move the pencil against it rapidly.