seventeen

The day went by as usual, much to his suspicion. Everything was going well.

Not until Jasper barged beyond the hospital doors with Madelline laying limply in his arms. The moment he saw his lifeless daughter, he immediately dropped everything and rushed toward Jasper.

 "What the hell happened to my daughter?!" he asks as he rushed them toward a vacant room where most of the first aid kits were kept.

"We better discuss it where no one can listen to us," he mutters as he eyes the prying eyes of the people whose eyes peeked inside the room since the doors were open.

Elijah followed his trail of sight and clicks his tongue when he saw the number of eyes watching them. He immediately closed the doors and went back to aid his daughter.

"Don't," he started as he remained focused on tending her deep wounds first. "Start lying to me, young man. I know what you are already so don't try to deceive me."

Jasper couldn't help but be intimidated by Elijah's presence. His once panic-filled face suddenly became stoic as he scanned Madelline's wounds. His hands eventually followed, precisely cleaning and mending her wounds while still remaining light and fast with his movements as he waits for Jasper to start.

"Madelline got hurt while she protects Bella from James—"

"The tracker, right?"

"Yes," Jasper answered. "She tried to buy us some time by holding James off but she got bit along the way and got multiple fractures and bruises from being thrown around in the room," he continued.

The urge to trash the room crept up to Elijah but held it down as he finished bandaging his daughter up. Once he was done, he stood quietly while his hand gripped the bed frame, his knuckles slowly turning white with how tightly he gripped it.

He wanted to blame Bella. No, he wants someone to blame in particular because the man responsible was dead already, and yet, his daughter lay in front of him, looking so void of life. His eyes caught something, his hand gently turning Madelline's head only to see two punctured points on her neck.

"His venom is not compatible with her body. What it's doing is it amplifies her own venom before it flushes out on its own," he says as he quickly lifted Madelline up. "We have to transfer her, what she's about to go through would send this hospital into chaos."

Jasper briefly nods his head as he helped him. "We can transfer her to our house. Carlisle would be glad to help."