fifty-two

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like, to be an astronaut, president, or in my case, a princess. When we were ten, they asked us again, and we answered, rockstar, cowboy, or in my case, a gold medalist..."

Jessica's voice faded into the background as Madelline and Jasper found themselves looking at each other. Both wore a smile that said more than enough words. Madelline looked around and spotted Charlie and Elijah, who stood at the very back along with Carlisle and Esme—all who looked at their children with the proudest expressions she had ever seen from them.

Jessica's speech soon ended, and before they even knew it, their names were being called one by one. As if he could read her thoughts, Jasper raised their intertwined hands together and placed a soft kiss on her fingertips before sending her a reassuring smile.

"Madelline Blanche Smith!"

The moment she stood up, hollers and a series of clappings echoed around the auditorium, catching everyone's attention with ease. Madelline's head turned toward the source of noise, only to smile, both out of amusement and adoration.

There stood at the back were the entire pack, wearing grins of proudness as they all had their hands raised in the air, clapping as if there was no tomorrow.

"That's my best friend right there!"

Madelline could feel her cheeks burning with embarrassment, prompting her to turn her back on them and resume her way up the stage as the rest of the Cullens and Bella chuckled under their breath.

As she held her diploma in her hand just as the camera clicked, Madelline felt a breath of relief escape her lips.

"This is it," she thought to herself as she grinned broadly at the camera. Her loved ones had seen her go through it and how her life completely changed, but she wouldn't have it any other way if it meant having them there.

As soon as the ceremony ended, Jessica found herself skipping her way toward Madelline, who enveloped her in a warm hug as soon as she neared enough. "Your speech was beautiful," she gushed, pulling away from the brunette.

Jessica's eyes glistened with tears at the sudden praise, not expecting to receive one from her. "That means a lot, you know? Coming from you."

"Thank God you didn't take Mike's suggestion," she playfully rolled her eyes, earning complaints from the said boy as the rest of the group let out a series of laughs.

Angela skipped toward the group with Bella on her side, holding up a digital camera with an excited grin. "Come on! Let's take a picture!"

And as Eric counted down and Madelline snaked her arm around Bella's waist, she knew to herself that this was just the beginning of her many achievements. Despite the seemingly fictitious life she lived in at the very moment, accomplishing something as mundane as this brought back a sense of normalcy in her life. It made her feel as if she wasn't the only one frozen as the rest of the world continued on.

"I'm so proud of you, sweetie." Elijah wrapped an arm around his daughter as soon as she pulled away from her group.

"Dad," she choked out as she felt the familiar sting behind her eyes.

"And I'm sure your mom would be too if she found out how beautiful, strong, and amazing you have grown to be," he finished, leaving a peck on her temple before pulling away.

"Someone's here for you also," he whispered, turning her around to face her back.

She allowed her father to turn her around, despite the look of perplexity on her face, and was startled to see the familiar blonde standing not far away from her, wearing a wide smile on his face.