twenty-four

For once, Madelline was glad there was school as it was able to distract her from what was happening around her. Despite how bad their conversation went, Madelline would often leave either a snack or a drink on Bella's tray as the latter sat by herself at the Cullen's table, staring blankly outside.

To further distract herself, she applied as a part-time employee at the boutique down by Port Angeles. It wasn't any big but within its location, it was famous and teenagers would often buy their clothes from there—much to her favor of course since more customers equate to no time to swell in her thoughts.

Madelline stood behind the counter, sketching a dress she randomly thought of while she waited for the customers to finish. Too lost in sketching, she hadn't realized that the bell that was hanging by the door echoed around the place, signifying a new customer.

As usual, she stood up to greet them until she looked up and saw a woman entering, wearing a warm smile when she met her eyes. Three claw marks that ran across her face were what caught her attention yet they failed to hide the natural beauty the woman possesses.

"Good day, Ms! Welcome," she warmly greeted her, causing the woman's smile to widen. She walked towards her and stopped just in front of the counter. A whiff of a familiar scent enveloped her senses, reminding her of a certain shape-shifter she had just met.

"Hi! Not to be rude or anything but are you new here?" she asked. "I'm a regular here and only now did I see such a pretty face like yours," she added, causing the girl in front of her to blush at the sudden compliment.

"I am new, I just worked here a week ago," she answered and sent her a polite smile.

"Well, that's exciting to know! It's refreshing to see new faces around here," she winked at her. "Anyway, I shouldn't disturb you any longer! I'll just grab some things and I'll be done."

"No worries, Ms. If you need anything, I'm Madelline."

"Thank you, Madelline! You can call me Emily."

Just like that, Madelline returned back to what she was doing, occasionally standing up to help and greet the customers. Classical music softly played in the background, courtesy of her, which helped calm her mind as she do her work.

After sketching, she focused back on handling their sales. It was easy to conclude that Madelline's attention span was shit but no one can really get upset with her because she still finishes her task perfectly and right on time. With how preoccupied she was with her documents, she didn't notice Emily walking towards her, bearing a hesitant smile.

Thanks to her scent, Madelline's head shot up just in time when she stopped just right in front of the counter. "I'm really sorry for disturbing you but everyone seems to be busy helping others," she sent her an apologetic smile.

Madelline only shook her head and sent her a reassuring smile, her hands quickly placing the documents somewhere safe and discreet before leaving her post.

"It's alright, Ms. Emily. What can I help you with?"