thirty-three

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

"What was the process?"

"You're a demon," Jace stated. "Demons can be located anywhere, even in the depths of someplace unknown, we can still find them."

Madelline hummed as she nodded her head in understanding. "Yet they failed to inform you that I'm a part of both?"

"Yeah, hybrids do not exist in our world, you know?" he looked down at her.

The girl beside him shook her head as she kicked pebbles underneath her. "You have no idea how hybrids are not welcomed in any part of the world," she mumbled.

He opened his mouth to say something only to close it when she stopped in front of an average-sized house. He became distracted at the view in front of him, causing him to lose track of his train of thought.

"Where are we?" he asked, eyeing the entire place. He became cautious as he looked down warily at the girl beside him.

"My friend's house," she briefly answered.

He was about to take a step forward when he felt a hand gripping his arm, tight enough to catch his attention and stop him from any further movement. He glanced down at where her hand was and met her eyes with confusion.

"I highly suggest you don't pull any more stunts like the ones earlier while you're inside," she warned him and glanced at the open door. "If you were barely able to move earlier, once you get inside, you won't be able to forever."

Jace shifted on his feet uncomfortably, watching how Madelline gently removed her grip on his arm. "That's a... nice way to welcome me, I guess?" he chuckled nervously.

He grew serious when he realized that the girl who stood before him looked at him without emotion. He stuffed his hands inside his pockets and faced her entirely. Despite the usual confidence he had in every fight he had encountered, he knew when he was at a disadvantage, and he was not the type to risk himself.

"Not to be rude or anything, but..." he trailed off, running his tongue along his bottom lip as hesitation laced his voice. "Why do you care? I mean, I was about to kill you earlier."

Madelline looked at him with amusement, finding his question ridiculous. "I was letting you interrupt me with your anticipated attacks to get answers from you, blondie," she told him. "I got numerous trainers who got decades, centuries, heck even a millennium of experience in fighting. What you did earlier? It was just the tip of an icing." She patted him on his shoulder and began walking toward the house.

Jace lingered for a bit and stared at her back. Meeting a hybrid should have surprised him, but what surprised him even more was how someone who looks so innocent and fragile can kill someone before they can even blink. 

It should have scared him, but for some reason, he found himself not.

Madelline looked over her shoulder and found him lost in his thoughts. She tilted her head as she analyzed him. No one would have known that the boy in front of her can wield blades that are sharper than knives and pierce skins as if they were just paper.