Chapter. 9

JOOHYUN

The hotel CEO called for an unannounced dinner meeting to the key employees to personally discussed his idea about the upcoming anniversary and to do some follow ups on us. It took everyone by surprise because we got a short notice but his the boss so we obliged even some of us have already other plans after shift.

I know I promise my team to join them later because we are going celebrate our little Somi's 22nd birthday. So before heading to the meeting. I made sure to check the inventory for tomorrow shifts because my staff might got drunk and unable to report at work tomorrow. I told them I go straight after the meeting.

When I arrived at the meeting room there's no vacant seat except next to Suho. The CEO asked us to have dinner first before discussing his plan.

"Irene I save a seat for you." He offered.

"Oh thank you, can I just go to the powder room real quick?" I just left my phone on the table.

"Sure." He said.

I got back on the table seeing Suho with worried look and my phone is already on his ear.

"Irene, I hope you don't mind I took the call, this person has been calling you. It might be something important," He explained

"Oh thanks, Suho. Let me take this outside."

"The number isn't registered though." He pointed out.

"Yah, thanks."

"Don't take too long, dinner will be served." He reminded.

I walked away to take the call outside the meeting room. Probably this is one of my staff calling.

"Hello, this is Irene speaking, may I ask who's on the other line?"

This is odd, couldn't this person hear me? I am literally talking to no one. I can only hear someone's breathing on the other line.

"Hello, are you still there? Do you have business with me?" I really don't have time for a prank caller. And I am getting impatient already. But no answer yet on the other line.

"Look, I don't want to be rude. But I am in a middle of something. If you don't talk then I need to end this call."
I gave this person a warning so he or she would talk.

"So you made effort calling me and now you made me look stupid talking to no one?" This might be really important for this person kept calling earlier.

"Please speak whoever you are. Can you hear me?"

"Do you want me to end this call and call you instead? Are you not able to hear me?" I continued.

"You are really testing my patient. Come on talk."

I should be upset but it just feels strange. I remember Lisa. She used to be like this when the two of us fight. Of course she's the one who'll say sorry first but she's like this. Calling and not talking for minutes so I just couldn't find myself being upset to whoever this person is.

"Irene! The dinner is served." Suho called me out.

"Aish! Okay, I'll be right there." I told him.

"Please, I don't know whoever you are and why I am being this patient with you? If this is something important then you supposed to already talked to me. Just call back once you're ready to talk with me. I need to hang up."

A part of me doesn't want to end the call and willing to wait for the other person to talk. What am I even thinking? That couldn't be her. Why would she call me out of sudden?
It's impossible.