9. Yeol-set and Vixen

Jungkook spent the next few days investigating the incident regarding his witness. What really happened that day? Jungkook was really curious. It showed in the report that the time of death was the same day of the trial. Some of the co-workers in the Prosecutor's Office concluded that the witness committed suicide after failing to attend the hearing, that his conscience was haunting him. Until he couldn't escape anymore and so he decided to kill himself. Detectives, including police officers were also convinced that it was indeed a Suicide. That mere autopsy report played a very big part that is why no further forensic autopsy was carried since the cause of the death is not a criminal matter.

But Jungkook thought otherwise. That the excuse was so absurd and lame. The witness was a member of that Raven Grimoire Organization. They were trained to kill people. And that witness confessed to Jungkook that he killed so many people, that even his fingers and toes are combined together, it wasn't enough to describe the count of his victims.

Why the hell was his failure to appear in court would shake his conscience now?!, Jungkook refused to believe. The death was definitely caused by foul play. The one who did it was an expert. That person's work was very clean, almost perfect. But then again, there was no such thing as perfect crime! There must be something that the culprit has left. But what was it?

That's for people to know and for Jungkook to find out.

Jungkook can't find an evidence to support his doubt. He's the prosecutor, the burden of proving a crime was placed on him before the Judge would reach a verdict. He must demonstrate that the accused is guilty of the crime. The proof must be beyond reasonable doubt, one room that the defending counsel opens to shake that weight or quantum of evidence required, the accused will be acquited.

That is why, Jungkook lost the case. Kim Mingyu was found Not Guilty on the ground of Insanity, hence acquitted. The Judge decided on the facts and evidence presented, not on what he believes.

If only the testimony of the witness was given that day. The defense of insanity would have been rendered futile, because someone among the assailants can testify that Mingyu had acted during lucid interval, meaning he can't be exempted from the crime itself. He was capacitated to know the consequences and nature of his action. Doesn't matter now if he was declared lunatic thereafter.

While it is true that once an accused was acquitted for one crime, he can't be charged again for thesame crime or facts relative to it without violating the right against double jeopardy. He can't be tried twice for thesame offense. But then this rule admits exceptions. One of which, retrial may be permitted if it involves heinous (serious) crimes and if there were newly taken evidences that were present during the commission of the offense but somehow failed to be obtained and presented in trial because of circumstances that are beyond the control of the prosecution. And said evidence maybe indicative that the acquitted person was in fact Guilty.

The very reason why Jungkook is too eager to search for evidence(s), able to bring Mingyu back in court. Once he set his mind on something, he doesn't stop until he's done with it.

One more thing that he remembers, one particular cue that the witness told him if they fail for their first plan. Jungkook should resort to the second one. The witness planned it ahead of time as if he saw what's going to happen the next days.

☆.FLASHBACK.☆

" Try getting Yeol-set on your side. That one is Mingyu's weakness. " Jungkook thought it was joke at first, that the witness was just making it up so Jungkook will fall for it. But on the other hand, he can't think of a possible reason why the witness will lie to him, surely not after he revealed the crime.