Chapter 4

-S-

"Severine," my father said as his peers entered the household. "Meet my friends, they'll be your friends too."

      My innocent eyes scanned everyone from head to toe, studying each familiar faces. Then I felt mom's arms  around me tightened as she sobbed.

      "D-don't believe him, honey." My mom whispered. "D-d-don't ever go near them!"

      "But weren't they your friends too, mom?" I replied, wiping away a tear from her eye. "I saw all of you in the same room last night, weren't you partying?"

      She nodded, crying harder as she hugged me tighter. "You're too young to understand. . ." She said and faced to my father, terrified. "P-please d-don't do this to h-her, Zack. Y-you're not like d-dad. . .please, I beg you. She's just 13."

      Mom was right. I was too young to understand her current situation. I'm 17 now, turning 18 in a few days, and I still don't understand why some people are like this.

      The last thing I remembered of her was watching dad butchering her alive, infront of me during my 14th birthday.

My eyes slowly fluttered open only to find myself back in the house, inside Levi's room. I surveyed the room but there was no one else; I was alone, giving me time to think.

      I remembered now. We were on a mission for Jan, and the guy I was assigned to was unfortunately one of the guys that raped me, also known as my father's friends. I can still feel his horrid touch on my skin and the way he forced his mouth inside mines. . .I curled into a ball as I paced back and forth. Then the door clicked open.

      Isabel stepped in, eyes widened as she saw me awake. She ran towards me, engulfing my body into a tight embrace. "A. . .are you okay?" She said, tears running down her face.

      I shakily hugged her back, "I t-think so. . ." She sobbed on my shoulders, drenching the white longsleeve I wore. . .then I realized it wasn't mine. "Isabel, who owns this?"

      "Levi," she replied, looking up. "Don't worry, I was the one who put it on."

      I nodded slowly, "You didn't have to change my clothes, it was fine--"

      "Your old clothes were dirtied by that bastard. His hands were filthier than shit, I can't stand it." A cold voice spoke by the door. Levi and Farlan walked in, a worried look on the taller man's face.

      "We're really sorry it took us long to arrive, Sev." Farlan spoke, handing me a glass of water.

      "It's not your fault," I replied quietly, "W-where is h-he now? Did you turn all of them in to Jan?"

      "About the guy," Farlan scratched the back of his neck, placing his hand on his waist. "Levi. . .killed him."

      My eyes widened, then I looked down. "Oh. . .What did Jan say?"

      "It was fine, he'd still die when he reaches Jan."

      "I see," I mumbled. "Thank you, for saving me. . ."

      "Do you want to rest, Sev?" Isabel said softly while I nodded in reply. "Do you want to return to our room?"

      "C-can I stay h-here? Just for now, if Levi won't mind. . ."

      The duo turned to Levi, as the stoic man only nodded in response and they started walking out.

      "Levi." I said, making him stop in his tracks, "I wanna have someone to talk to."

      Levi stared at me for a few minutes, then he closed the door and walked back, sitting on a chair beside the bed.

      "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have assigned you to him." He apologized, arms crossed.

      "It's not your fault," I said, "Thanks for saving me."

      He nodded as the room stayed silent for a few minutes.

      "Hey, Levi." I spoke while he hummed in response. "You're not disgusted by me, are you? My family background and the fact that I've been. . ."

      "No." He replied sternly, "You're no different from us."

      I forced myself to smile, meeting his cold, steel-blue eyes, then my heart raced all of a sudden.

      What is this feeling?

      I broke the gaze as I laid back down, going back to sleep.

      "Daddy has a gift for you Sev!"

      "Do whatever you want to do with her, I'm going to the bar."

       His fingers tickled up and down my thigh, nearing to a certain entrance. His tongue licked my ear, whispering in his haunting voice, "Are you excited?"

      I screamed, sobbed, and cried for hours, my naked body shivering on the cold floor.

      "P-please help me! Please! Stop!"

      "No! Don't--"

      "Sev," he whispered in my ear. "My dear Severine."

      "Sev."

      "Sev."

      "Sev! Wake up!"

      I jolted awake, panting heavily as sweat trickled down my face. I turned to Levi as tears started pouring down while I buried my face in his chest.

      "Go back to sleep," he said softly.

      "I c-can't."

      He carefully laid down with my body wrapped in his well-built arms. His hand gently caressed my hair while the other softly rubbed my back. I tensed up at his touch -- it was different from the ones that used to touch me.

      "You'll sleep better like this," he said softly. "You'll feel better tomorrow."

      "I can't stand this anymore, Levi." I muttered. "I-I-I should've killed myself when I had the chance. . ."

      "Don't say that, brat." He replied stoicly, "If you'd do that, my life doesn't really matter anymore. I'll protect you, don't worry."

      My tears stopped falling, getting a different feeling from this moment.

      "I'll be here when you wake up."

      And for the first time, I felt safe. . .and loved.