Chapter 26

-S-

"D-d-dead?" A tear slipped out from my left eye while I continued sweeping.

Why am I suprised? Why am I crying?

Thankfully, Levi left, so I had the time think things through without any distraction. But hearing about Farlan and Isabel's death were enough of a distraction.

I also can't avoid the fact that Levi tried to start a conversation with the worst question possible.

"'What happend to you?'" I mocked bitterly, moving to dust his desk. "Screw you. You just had to waltz in back in my life and expect me to be the same? Well guess what, captain," I continued talking to myself bitterly, "I'm actually here to steal some of your lovely commander's documents and to cut--"

I stopped mid sentence as my eyes landed on something in the desk. I took it, carefully examining it as my lips quivered. It was a small portrait that was done years ago, more like a year after Levi and I met Farlan and Isabel. The three of us held big smiles, while Levi only had his usual stoic face.

But his eyes. His eyes spoke everything.

He was happy; I was happy, and we were completely contented with only having each other.

I hate to admit it but, I'd do anything to bring them back. No matter how hard I tried to convince myself that hating them, or hating him, was an easier way to move on, I just kept hoping for atleast one of them to come back.

And fate brought me Levi.

"Of all people, why him." I mumbled coldly, placing the portrait down as I got back to cleaning. "I'll finish the mission and get out of here."

---

Finally after an hour, the door swung open as Levi came back.

I can finally leave.

I turned to him, avoiding his eyes as I can feel its intense stare on me. To avoid going back to this office again, I made sure to surpass his cleaning standards; being his friend for years back in the Underground made me aware of how high his standards can get.

He surveyed the room, walking from chair to shelves as he swiped his fingers against the wood. I continued facing the floor, hearing him sigh after a few minutes.

"Tch. Dismissed."

I exhaled deeply in relief, thanking that he didn't start a conversation this time, 'cause if he did, there's no telling if I'll be able to control the next breakdowns.

I nodded coldly, grabbing the materials in my hand as I walked out of the door without saying another word nor atleast gave him a salute.

"I need to find Eric and get my pills," I mumbled to myself, clutching my chest. If Levi had continued talking about our past, I was sure to breakdown anytime.

I arrived in my room, closing the door shut. Then my eyes landed on a folded paper ontop of the table, I walked towards it and read it carefully.

Sev,

You didn't show up last night, but we completely understand. Just continue what Boss assigned you to do; as for the change of plans, you'll know soon, but not through a letter. And as for your pills, I'm sorry, we have to meet personally for you to claim it.

Yours truly,

E.

"What did Eric mean by 'You'll know soon, but not through a letter'?" I mumbled, leaning against the drawer and lets out an exasperated sigh. "I guess my anxiety will just have to wait. I'll have to hold on longer. . ."