Chapter 14

2 years later

-LEVI-

"I heard the cadets are graduating today?" Erwin asked Keith Shadis who sat at the right side of the table.

      Shadis nodded, "Yes. It was a tough 2 years."

      "How many do you think will join us this time, Levi?" Erwin turned to me.

      "If they're all cowards; the usual." I scoffed, "None."

      "Not this time," Shadis spoke as I divert my attention to him, raising an eyebrow.  "This batch's Rank 1 had her eyes for the Scouts since day one. Even if she's the only new recruit, she'll be able to add more manpower than any of you might expect."

      Shadis rarely appreciates, if he does, then that person really surpassed his standards.

      I sighed sharply, leaning against my chair. "She'll be titan fodder once she stepped outside the walls," I grumbled.

      "Sara Wielth has more potential than you think, Levi." Shadis said, "But we won't know unless she joins."

      "Sara Wielth. I'm excited to be working with her then," said Erwin.

-S-

2 years ago, 218 random strangers were standing in columns and rows, waiting for themselves to be officially part of the Cadet Training Corps.

      It felt like months ago when everything started. We put our blood and sweat on trainings that will lead us to the day when we get to choose our brigade.

      And today is the day. We stood in columns and rows again, fists on the left side of our chest, as the commander of the corps said his speeches.

      "You have three options after you graduate from the cadets today!" He shouted. "Garrison Regiment, which reinforces the walls and protects each city. Scouting Regiment, which risks life and limb into titan territory outside the wall. And Military Police regiment, which serves the king by policing the people and preserving peace."

      And I'm sure for which branch I'm choosing. It's where I was heading from the very start.

      "Of course the only ones allowed to join the Military Police are the aformentioned cadets!" He continued and stated the top ten cadets starting from the bottom. ". . .Rank 4: Annie Leonhart! Rank 3: Reiner Braun! Rank 2: Mikasa Ackerman! Rank 1: Sara Wielth!"

      As the ceremony ended, we walked to the mess hall. I walked beside my closest acquaintances -- Eren, Sasha, Reiner, and Annie.

      Just as I was about to walk away, someone cleared his throat from behind, making me face his direction.

      "Congratulations for ranking Top One," Keith Shadis said sternly.

      I nodded and said stoicly, "Thank you, sir." Then I faced back, about to walk away.

      "I hope you meant what you said 2 years back." He said.

      "And what was that sir?"

      "The Survey Corps needs a soldier like you, Wielth."

      "Ah, right." I nodded, "Of course sir." Then I walked away

The next day came in an abrupt manner, and it felt just like minutes when we just graduated.

      I crouched lower as I scrubbed the lower part of the cannon ontop of the walls with some cadets.

      Two years has passed, Eric, Ilyse, and Matthew will finally catch up. And one year left of the mission, then we can get that citizenship.

      "I'm joining the Military Police." Annie spoke from beside me.

      "Coward." I snorted.

      "You should too."

      "No."

      "Why?" Annie asked.

      "I have my reasons." I replied stoicly. She didn't reply as she sighed, standing up and walked to where Reinee and Bertholdt are.

      The chatter of the other cadets grew louder behind me; specifically Sasha's voice overlapping.

      "Sara!" She shouted, making me turn towards her.

      "What?"

      "Look," she slightly revealed her jacket, "I have meat. Want some?"

      Conny raised his hand, saying he wanted to, and the others followed. Then they turned to me, waiting for my reply.

      "What are you waiting for Sara?" Eren said.

       With all of us sharing. . .it will be consumed in just seconds.

      I sighed, suppressing a tiny smile. "No, I don't like meat."

      Sasha frowned, hiding the meat inside a crate. "All right. Let's get to work! Lunch time's near."

      I rolled my eyes and stood up, hands on my waist. "Oi, Eren--"

      Boom!

      Before I was able to finish my sentence, I was suddenly blown away by a strong force of wind. An explosion occurred, followed by a streak of lightning and steam.

      We quickly grappled our hooks to the side of the wall to prevent us from falling.

      A few feet away, Eren came falling as he was trying to activate his gear. I gritted my teeth and maneuvered towards Eren, grabbing him by his waist while I came swinging.

      I turned to Eren, his eyes shook as it widened in horror. What is he looking at? I thought. Then a shadow cascaded over us, I face the sky, only to see it covered by a large object that seems to have eyes, nose, mouth, and muscles.

      No, "It's a head. . ." I mumbled, my eyes glued intently at it.

      "This is just like 5 years ago," I heard Eren muttered.

      5 years ago? I did remember him telling us his story about the fall of Wall Maria, and a Colossal Titan. . .I never thought of it to be true.

      If it is. . .

      I looked up once again. Then this must be the Colossal Titan. . .This is a titan -- the monsters I will be dealing with soon.

      Eren struggled free from my arm, grappling is hook above.

      "Eren what are you--" I was cut off by him yelling.

      "Everyone!" He yelled, "Ready yourselves! Our enemy is the Colossal Titan!"

      And just like that, he rose back ontop of the wall, just right beside the Colossal Titan's head.

      I looked down, my eyes widened.

      "The wall is. . .broken."

      I tightened my grip on the blades and grappled upwards, landing ontop of the wall just a few feet away from the scene. I blocked my face from the hot steam, just keeping my eyes half open as I saw Eren maneuvering himself around the titan.

     "What is Eren. . ." I tried walking forward, fighting against the wind. ". . .doing--"

      Just as I saw him heading for its nape, it went lost.

      The steam slowly died down and the wind was no longer that strong. I ran to where it was awhile ago. . .but all I see was nothing.

      I looked over the wall, seeing Eren swinging by the side.

      "Eren!" I shouted, "What happened?"

      "J-just like 5 years ago," he replied," . . .it suddenly disappeared."