Chapter 36

-S-

It was empty without the scouts in the building. They left an hour ago and headed for Sina to capture the Female Titan. I roamed every hallway, checking every area and saw no one except for the nurses in the infirmary.

      Part of me wanted to help them; see for myself if it was really her. Asked her why she saved me from falling and why she was attacking us.

      But the mission comes first.

      This is the right time.

      I slowly walked out of my room and made my way to the commander's office silently until I finally reached it.

      I fiddled with the door knob quietly, fortunately it was still broken without them knowing after how many weeks. I twisted it, stepping inside and cautiously closed the door behind me.

      I now stood inside Commander Erwin's office.

      I took a deep breath, taking in the strong scent of papers and books.

      Failure is not an option.

      My eyes surveyed the area and landed on his drawers where I suspect the documents were. I knelt in front of the wooden drawer, sliding open the bottom part.

       A bunch of folders lined up with certain names of soldiers which was not I was looking for.; I sighed, moving to the next one. It was full of papers containing information about the higher-ups this time.

      Not the one.

      I opened each drawer and every cabinet; carefully reading the papers laid on top of the desk, but it was not I was looking for.

      Then I have one last drawer to check. By the corner of the office, a wooden drawer, stood alone.

      It needs a key for it to be opened. I groaned. What a pain. Thankfully, Boss taught me everything I need to be an assassin, which includes opening locks with hairpins.

       I checked his desk again for a key, but there was none. I walked towards the drawer, taking out a hairpin that held a few strands of my hair and positioned it infront of the lock.

"Come on," I mumbled to myself, cautiously twisting the hairpin inside the lock. I pushed it deeper, twisting and turning it—

Click!

"Tsk. Finally." I sighed. "Hope this is the one." I quietly slid open the drawer and skimmed my fingers through the folders, reading each title.

Until I stopped at a certain old, white-colored folder.

"This is it," I mumbled. "This is the one!" I quickly took it out, sliding the drawer back as I held the documents tighter in my other hand.

I scanned the office once more, checking if everything was still in the same place as before as if it was left untouched.

"Mission one: complete." I smirked, slowly closing the door and left the office.

——

"Why would Boss want informations about their expeditions?" I mumbled to myself, flipping each paper.

I sighed boredly and leaned on the wall. I just need to give these first to Boss and ask her about the reason in taking Erwin's head.

What a pain.

In sudden realization, I perked up. "There's still time! The operation must still be on going."

One thing that's been keeping me up the whole night was hoping to see the Female Titan's true identity.