Chapter 10

-S-

I walked casually with my hands in my pocket, listening to the annoying guy who was blabbering random things beside me.

      "And that's how three of us met!" He beamed, "Damn, Matthew looked fucked up that time just to protect Ilyse. I must say, if Boss didn't send me to get them, they were as good as dead."

      "Eric," I spoke coldly, "I've heard that story for the 20th time coming from your mouth, so shut the fuck up."

      "Oh when I'll shut up, you'll miss hearing my voice." He mumbled, closing his mouth.

      I raised a brow at him, then continued walking forward, stopping infront of a worn-down building. "Is this the place?" I asked, not expecting him to answer.

      "Yep!" He replied, twirling his favorite Kerambit on his fingers.

      I sighed tiredly, "Let's just get this over with."

      He kicked down the door in one swing, knocking it harshly to the ground that resulted into a large THUD.

      We slowly walked down the dark halls, searching for a room where a meeting was supposed to be held.

      Then we found a small light coming from a closed door.

      "They must be there," Eric pointed out.

      I nodded, taking my position from the right side of the door. Eric took the left as he readied his weapon.

      "On my signal," I whispered.

      "1. . .2--"

      A hand covered over my mouth while an arm locked itself on my neck.
Shit. They knew we were coming. I elbowed my captor in the stomach hardly, making him release me.

      He charged towards me with a knife, about to raise it up, I swept him off his feet as he threw the knife in the air. I caught it swiftly and dug it deep in the man's stomach.

       I turned to Eric, who seem to have no problem taking down his captor  and I nodded at him. Then I bursted through the door the man still sticking to me.

      Five men saw our abrupt entrance and they took out their cheap guns and started shooting. I lifted the dead man and used him as a shield from the bullets. And as they stopped to reload, I quickly threw the body towards them and I took out my dagger.

      A man came from behind, about to grab my head but I dodged swiftly, grabbing his arm and threw him to the side, his head hitting a nail.

      I approached two guys, swinging my fist towards the other one as I lifted my foot and kicked the one behind. I took out my dagger, stabbing the man in the chest, and I took his gun, shooting him in the head to be sure.

      I breath steadily, about to approach Eric, then another man pinned me to the wall, harshly grabbing my face in his hands.

      "You think you can get away that easily?" He hissed.

      I gave him a death glare, gripping tightly on my knife, I sliced it across his hand that held me. He fell to the ground screaming in agony while he clutched his decapitated hand.

      "Disgusting," I retorted, stabbing him in the neck.

      I held my chest, trying to calm myself. I quickly took a pill from my pocket and chugged it down.

      My breathing steadied, then I walked towards Eric who had a man in his hand.

      "Is this him?" I asked and he nodded.

      "P-please t-tell your boss I'll p-pay first thing t-tomorrow." Stuttered the man.

      "You had a week," I replied stoicly.

      "I-I k-know you," he said, "I can offer you protection from your boss."

      "You have no idea who I am," I growled.

       A smirk painted across his face, he coughed out blood as he spoke. "Your daddy had a sister two years younger than him, he raped her and boom," he laughed. "There came out little Sevy."

      My eyes widened, teeth gritted in anger as I tightened my grip on the dagger.

      "Inbred child of a retard. You were only born out of incest." He spat, then Eric punched him to he ground.

      "Take that back--" I cut Eric off, telling him that I was fine. Sighing, I walked closer and slashed my dagger across his neck.

      Eric threw his lifeless body to the ground and took out his handkerchief.

      "He deserved more than just a slice in his neck; are you okay? Let's stop by a bar?" He offered.

      "Sure," I nodded and walked out of the building.

We arrived a few hours later, sitting at a rectangular table with a few members of Boss's small group of assassins.

      "How was your mission, Sis?" asked Ilyse, taking a bite of her favorite egg sandwich.

      "I've killed better targets," I replied stoicly.

      "How'd you did it this time? Slow death? Slicing feet?"

      "Clean slit across the thyroid gland," I said boredly, leaning on the chair.

      "Did Eric say something to you?" Matthew smiled cheekily.

      "I can't remember a word he said."

      "I'll say it for him then!" Matthew took a deep breath, "Severine Yaruno, Eric--"

      Eric rose from his seat, clasping his hands over Matthew's mouth and pulled him back to his chair, whispering something in his ear.

      I stared at them sternly, hearing Ilyse mumble, "Boys," I rolled my eyes and diverted my attention back to my coffee.

      Then the door opened as Boss stepped in and she took a seat in the end of the table.

      The noise died down as the two boys went back to their chairs. We stood up, bowing out of respect and sat back down.

      "Let's get straight to the point," her raspy voice spoke. "This will be a three-year mission specifically assigned for one person. . .this will also need for that person to be civil as it will be done in the surface."

      The room was filled with mumbles, gasps, and whispers about this long mission and who that specific person might be. Some raised their hands, eager to have the mission, even the twins did.

      I continued fiddling with my knife, uninterested at the topic as I continued tossing it up and down while we wait for Boss's words.

      "Who's this person, Boss?" asked a rookie who just joined a year ago. "Or do you still have to choose a promising one?"

      "No," Boss replied, "I've chosen."

      "And that would be?"

      "Severine."

      I dropped the knife on the ground upon hearing my name. "Sorry, what was that?" I said, picking up the knife.

      "You heard me, Severine." She said. "You're fit and promising enough for this job, I know you won't fail me."

      My lips parted as I darted my eyes across the room. Ilyse, Matthew, and Eric all had their eyes full of admiration while the others showed envy.

      "I certainly won't," I mumbled quietly.

      Boss nodded, taking out a folder. "Let's discuss everything tonight, Severine you leave tomorrow."