Chapter 18

-LEVI-

It has been a few hours since we came back from Trost. The wall was successfully plugged by a cadet named Eren Jaeger who can miraculously turn into a titan. We took him under our custody for a trial by the time he wakes up and right now, he laid unconscious in the cell infront us.

      I leaned against the wall, arms crossed over my chest as I closed my eyes.

      "W-w-where am. . .I?"

      I opened my eyes again upon hearing the Titan Brat finally awake.

      "You're in a cell," Erwin spoke calmly.

      He held a puzzled look as his eyes darted between me and Erwin. "Commander Erwin. . .Captain Levi. . ." He paced around frantically, looking for something.

      "Are you looking for this?" Erwin held up a key thay he wore around his neck. "This is a key to your basement right? Don't worry, we'll return it after your trial."

      "Trial?" Eren asked.

      "Yes, a judge will decide your fate. It's either you'll be handed to the Military Police, or with us, the Scouts."

      His eyes widened nervously as he gripped tightly on the bars. Hanji entered the room minutes later, a pair of handcuffs in her hands as she unlocked Eren's cell.

      "You won't mind if I put this on you, right?" Hanji beamed, raising the cuffs.

      "N-no," Eren replied.

      And we walked our way to the courtroom.

The trial went as we expected. We got Eren in the Scouts under my supervision, but Erwin and I had to put up an act within the courtroom. It was the least of my concern, but it got Erwin what he wants.

      I sat beside Eren, crossing my leg over the other. "Say Eren, do you resent me?" I stated, watching Hanji tending to Eren's scars.

      Eren turned to me, startled. "N-no sir. . .I think it was necessary."

      "Good."

      Then I walked back to my office, seeing Erwin sitting in the chair infront of my desk.

      "What are you doing here Erwin?" I asked, settling myself in my chair.

      "The cadets will be choosing their branches tomorrow night." Erwin replied.

      "So?"

      "If Sara Wielth pursues in joining the regiment, I want her on your squad."

      I raised an eyebrow as I stared boredly at him. "No. Only I gets to decide who to have in my squad. Put her in Hanji's. I have enough shitheads on my team."

      Erwin sighed, leaning forward. "She's stubborn, hot-tempered, and violent--"

      "Gives me all the more reason why I don't want her." I retorted.

      "--I understand why you won't accept her attitude," Erwin said sternly, "but you can handle that. Plus she's very skilled, talented, fast, and driven, and stern whatever the situation. Heard she took down thirty-four titans on her own during the first battle and twenty-nine before we arrived, excluding the ones she killed on foot."

      I whipped my direction to him. That was her? "She's reckless and stupid. Why wasn't she using her gears then?"

      "She ran out of gas."

      "Another reason not to accept her. She's unconservative." I replied boredly, hearing Erwin sigh in frustration.

      Erwin breath deeply and said, "I'll let her introduce herself to your squad and have her take some tests, if she passes your standards, she's in."

      "Fine," I sighed in defeat.

      Another useless brat. What a waste of time.

      "What does she look like?" I asked, "Maybe I've seen her fight before."

      "Haven't seen her either," Erwin shrugged his shoulders and stood up. "I hope my instructions were clear, Levi."

      I rolled my eyes, watching him leave the door then I continued back to my paperworks.

-S-

24 hours has passed since Eren had his trial. Only Mikasa and Armin saw him that time, said some guy beat him up.

      He was officially a Scout; two days earlier than us, but he got special custody and supervision under the Captain of the Scout Regiment.

      Tomorrow night we'll finally get to choose the branch we desire.

      But joining the Scouts is not my desire; it's just for the sake of the mission. Sure, I did enjoy killing titans, it was just like killing people underground but bigger.

      It's been two years and I still haven't received any letter or any sort of communication from Boss, Ilyse, Matthew, or Eric. Perhaps when I finally get to enter the Scouts HQ, maybe that's when Boss will send trio to join me.

      I shook all of my thoughts off as I shifted my position and laid on my side. I grabbed a dagger ontop of my nightstand, staring it closely.

      "Use this defend yourself from him and his friends."

      "But this is your favorite dagger, Levi." I said.

      "It's yours now."

      I took the blade in my hand, crumpling the sharp edges on my palm as I felt it stinging every time I gritted in frustration.

      Blood trickled down my hand, a long wound from my ring finger to the end of my hand ran along my palm.

      I used this to kill my father. I use this to kill murderers like me, rapists like my father, druglords like Boss, and betrayers like. . .him.

      But no matter how hard I force myself to forget everything in my past; the trauma, the pain, the betrayal, the feelings I had for that raven-haired man. . .

      No matter how many pills I have to take. . .

      It's not easy to forget something that was once a part of your life.

      We can never deny the fact that it happened. We just had to move on. But pain is what molded me into the person I am right now.

     The events in the past were the greatest lessons in life, and I learned it all with pain.

     They're dead.

     I sighed in frustration as I wrapped my bloody hand in a white cloth. Then I took out the cylindrical container that contains my pills, I opened it only to see three left.

      I need to tell Boss as soon as I reach the HQ.

      My migraine slowly died down as I chugged a pill. My breathing steadied as I laid myself back, my arm just above my forehead. Then my eyes started getting droopy and before I knew it, I fell asleep.