Chapter 43

-S-

"What do you mean 'still'?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "I never said I love him."

       But he's right.

      He sighed, "You mumble his name in your sleep—"

       "How would you even know that—"

       "The way you talk about him before. The things he did to you before, who wouldn't fall for that?" He said. "You can't keep lying to yourself. Stop denying him and tell him before it's too late. You said we're getting out of here and will start a new life, right? That means leaving him too. I was glad I was able to confess my love for you two years ago, and I didn't regret it even a single bit."

       "Eric. . ."

       "Not that I support it, I've always wanted you to choose me," he laughed, "But know that whenever he hurts you, I'll always be here; ready to be picked."

       I blinked my eyes repeatedly, lips parted as I let small breaths escape my mouth.

       Why is he saying all of this?

       Then he continued. "You can even tell him the truth about why you're here if you want to. If he cares, then he cares, if doesn't then just let him be. My point is, I don't want you starting a new life and later on regret the things you haven't done—"

Then a knock came from the door, interrupting his sentence.

"That must be Hanji," Eric said, standing up. "I'll think of a plan to save the twins and get out of here, afterall, my plans never failed before. Until then, just enjoy your time. See you." Then he opened the door, revealing Hanji with a bunch of medicines in her hand as she waved at Eric who just left the room without another word.

Hanji greeted me cheerfully as she started blabbering about her experiments while I shut myself out, deep in thought.

What was Eric talking about?

It was as if he read me like an open book.

I do have feelings for Levi.

And a part of me wanted him back, even atleast as a friend.

But we're on different sides. If I tell him about my current situation, would he understand? Will he hate me and call me a traitor?

If I was the same heartless woman I was 4 years ago, then I wouldn't even care about his opinion.

Because of him, I'm slowly starting to trust people again and that's what I've always avoided.

Tell Levi the truth?

I just want to start a new life with the trio but knowing he's alive is somewhat holding me back.

I was in deep dilemma as I stared at particularly nothing. Until a few minutes, Hanji broke me out of my thoughts.

        "Were you listening, Sara?" She tilted her head. "Where did you get the pills?"

        "Huh? Oh umm. . ." I can't tell her where it came from. "From. . .a merchant in the city. Those were pills for my insomnia," I muttered, taking the medicines she laid out for me as I thanked her. "Can I leave now?"

       "I see. If you're feeling fine then you can."

       "Nothing hurts anymore," I shrugged, leaving the bed.

        She nodded with a smile, gesturing for the door as I gladly shuffled my way out of the infirmary.

——

I don't have pills, again, since I think they were all poisoned. How am I gonna deal my breakdowns now?

       "I hate my life. . ." I groaned, absent-mindedly stopping in my tracks as I found myself standing infront of a certain door.

       Why am I here? I asked myself.

       I wanted to continue walking back to my room or to the training grounds, but my feet won't budge and won't let me move from infront of the Corporal's office door.

       What am I doing?

       I raised my fist, giving three small knocks as I squeezed my eyes while I hope for no response—

       "State your name and business."

       A small gasp left my lips upon hearing Levi's raspy voice. My lips quivered tremendously, and I almost can't bring myself to say a word.

      "S-Sara. . ." Why am I nervous! ". . .Wielth. And I have something to talk about, s-sir."

      It was then a minute before he replied in a harsh tone.

      "I'm busy."

      Should I force him?

      I just need to get this heavy weight off my chest.

       "I won't stay long, Corporal."

       "I'm busy. Cadet." He hissed.

       I pursed my lips, forming fists.

       "Please. . .Levi."

       I waited for a reply, but there was none even after three long minutes. I sighed in frustration, pushing the door open as I invited myself inside. My eyes continued looking to the floor, then he spoke.

        "Did I tell you to come in? Tch. What is it? Hurry up."

        I nodded, stopping infront of his desk as I took a deep breath.

        There's no turning back now.

        But where do I start?

        With what happened a year after they left and so on?

        With that, I brought myself to speak in a stern manner as I faced in with a calm expression.

        "I need to tell you everything."