Chapter 39

-LEVI-

"Do you all know what he looks like now?" Erwin said as we descended down the steps to the Underground.

      We all nodded in confirmation and stopped once we reached down.

      "We'll split up. Move individually or by pair." Erwin instructed. "Rendezvous here once you see a green flare." After that, we went our separate ways.

      I casually strolled down the filthy paths; scrunching my nose in disgust everywhere I turn. Some people noticed my presence and quickly moved out of the way as they started muttering to each other. I rolled my eyes, thinking of the first place I wanted to go before finding the thug.

       Then I felt a familiar presence within the area. I paused in my tracks, suddenly feeling the presence changing to an annoying, cheerful one.

       "Why are you still following me Shitty-Glasses?" I grumbled.

       Hanji popped infront of me with excitement. "You think this new recruit will help me with my experiments?"

      I ignored her question and rolled my eyes. "Erwin said to roam individually. Now go turn to a different alley or something."

      "Or by pair. I'll get lost! Maybe you'll need help catching this thug?"

      "I can handle it. Get lost Shitty-Glasses." I replied coldly, only to find her unaffected by my words.

       But she replied, pouting. "Fine," and quickly maneuvered her way out of my sight.

      Finally. I thought to myself, then the same familiar presence crept back. As if someone I know too well was somewhere near me. I surveyed the area, seeing no one and nothing else but a few crates and small houses.

       But I shrugged it off as I continued walking my way back to my old home.

      Everything in the outside was still the same since the last time I've visited which was about two years ago when we were on a mission to capture Severine.

      I took in the nostalgic surrounding as I ascended the small staircase with a tint of sadness drawn in my face. Everywhere I turn, memories keep flooding back. I slowly opened the creaking door, seeing a filthy sight infront of me.

      Two rats squeaked beside my feet, making me almost loose my balance. There were cobwebs, dirt, dust, and filth everywhere I turn. I sighed as I entered my old room, seeing a broken bed, broken drawers and cabinets with termites taking over.

"What a mess." I grumbled as I walked back to the door. I gave the place one last glance, taking all the memories I left here with me and stepped out of the door.

Now, to find that thug.

-S-

Boss's reaction was expected. Why was she so obsessed on killing Erwin? Did something happen? Knowing her, she always have her reasons. And I always thought they were for good intentions, only for me to finally realize that it was not. This whole time, I was serving the wrong side; living my life with bloodshed  and taking the false path.

       How stupid of me not to realize it sooner.

       I've been walking for minutes now since I left the place as I decided to return back to HQ.  I ignored the whistles and catcalls coming from the filthy guys as I passed by since I was deep in thought, then faint, familiar voices were heard from a near distance just somewhere around the area.